water weight fluctuation

I have noticed since I have gone from taking off weight to maintaining weight, i have had a higher level of water weight fluctuations. I.E. more ups and down, and a greater range of ups and downs. I am just wondering if this is usual and other people have noticed it, or if it just something dietary, or another specific case limited to me. Thanks for the input

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    This is very common. When you move to maintenance from a deficit you replenish some of your glycogen stores, and glycogen carries 3-4 g of water per gram of glycogen.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    thanks, Just trying to learn my body, and what causes certain responses.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    @Panda_brat I have been at 200 for the past year down from 250. I just give myself a +/- 5 pound range weigh wise. @Jruzer hits the science for one reason changing weight can occur.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited March 2016
    Yeah, when you're in a deficit, you're not going to see a linear decline in weight necessarily, but you're going to more or less see a trend of going down...so really, water weight fluctuations aren't going to have as big of an impact as they do in maintenance.

When you move to maintenance, you're obviously trying to maintain a particular number (though that is impossible) and eating roughly the same amounts daily...so you don't have any fat loss to, for example, offset a possible gain in water...all you have is fluctuations of water and waste.

It is important to understand that maintenance is a range rather than a specific number and to really look at the trend...there are apps to help you visualize the trend if that helps. I'm currently about 183 (on average) but can be as low as 178 and as high as 186 on any given day...though most of my fluctuations are within a pound or two of 183...exceptions and outliers tend to be when I go out to eat or otherwise have more sodium in my diet for a day or two...if I have a heavier eating day in general (more inherent waste)...if I fly (airplane travel causes bloating), etc.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2016
    Yes, its very common, weight fluctuates normally, for me its around 1 - 2 lbs up/down in any one week... this is why most people have a goal range of +/-5lbs e.g so they don't fret or stress about it.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    I have had weeks where I would fluctuate 8-10 pounds. I do not care about the 1-3 pounds. But I could be 165 on Friday, and the 173 on Monday, and then back down.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    My weight is constantly moving up and down within a 2-4lb range. Just about everyday is different. As long as I stay somewhere in the neighborhood I'm good.