Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Normal BMI 18.5-24.9

chrs86
chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
For a normal BMI I should weigh between 122p and 164p. I started at 195p with a low carb high protein diet and only lost nine pounds in two months 7 days a week at the gym. I eventually gave up the protein goal of 1g per pound so I could reach my goal weight of 160p and lost 20 pounds in about a month. After I got to my goal weight I stopped going to the gym and gained 6lbs in three weeks. So now I don't want to stay so close to the highest BMI before I go overweight. I don't want to be a twig either though. I was thinking of going for 145 pound goal but the only time I weighed that much I was 14 and I looked highly malnourished. Where in the range would you recommend I set my goal weight and not look to slim?

Replies

• crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    It's very hard to do at first, but ignore the scale and BMI number. Go by measurements and body fat % instead. If you do it this way, you're more likely to be healthy, and when you reach your goal, you're less likely to be "skinny fat".
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    BMI isn't the best method because it doesn't take into account muscle mass / body fat %. Pick a projected weight based on a healthy body fat percentage instead. There are charts for healthy body fat % depending on your personal goals, and calculators which will project what your weight will be at the desired body fat %.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    BMI is for the birds. According to BMI, I'm overweight, even though I'm at a perfectly healthy and acceptable BF%...and I'm not like super ripped or anything.
  • crista_b
    BMI isn't the best method because it doesn't take into account muscle mass / body fat %. Pick a projected weight based on a healthy body fat percentage instead. There are charts for healthy body fat % depending on your personal goals, and calculators which will project what your weight will be at the desired body fat %.
    Do you have any links to those calculators? I've been trying to find some but can't.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Do you have any links to those calculators? I've been trying to find some but can't.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Losing and maintaing weight takes work. Once you reach your goal you can't just stop exercising or eating right and think you will maintain it, try starting to exercise again, it may help, plus it keeps you healthy!
  • crista_b

Thanks!
  • chrs86
    Thanks for the suggestions! I was going to ask how to figure the body fat %. Thanks again:)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member

My issue with these calculators is they assume you wont lose any LBM but in most cases 10-25% of your loss will come from LBM, depending on protein intake, size of deficit, genetics, strength training program, etc.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Hmm, that site *could* be helpful, but since I don't know the current body fat and it doesn't project without it, I just filled in a ton of guesses and saw what they suggested. Maybe there are others somewhere else--

• crista_b

My issue with these calculators is they assume you wont lose any LBM but in most cases 10-25% of your loss will come from LBM, depending on protein intake, size of deficit, genetics, strength training program, etc.
    Yeah. I assume they aren't super accurate since it's an estimation of a future weight. It's just a good place to start. I'd like to get to around 23% BF, but when setting goals on stuff like MFP, it asks for a goal weight and I had no clue what would be a good estimate to put.
  • crista_b
    Hmm, that site *could* be helpful, but since I don't know the current body fat and it doesn't project without it, I just filled in a ton of guesses and saw what they suggested. Maybe there are others somewhere else--

There's lots of calculators to figure out your current bf%. That site even has some.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Look in the mirror.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Why did you stop going to the gym? As someone else noted, this is a lifetime commitment/journey. You can't just stop when you reach your goal -- you need to have established new lifestyle habits that will stay with you. Otherwise, you run a very great risk -- perhaps even certainty -- of going back to where you started. And then starting all over again.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    >>>>
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Maybe you should work at a more effective transition to maintenance, unless you really want to yoyo your weight.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    and BTW, " I don't want to be a twig either though. I was thinking of going for 145 pound goal but the only time I weighed that much I was 14 and I looked highly malnourished. Where in the range would you recommend I set my goal weight and not look to slim?"

You'd probably consider me a twig, or too slim. I am well nourished and healthy. My most recent doctors visit said I was "well nourished. The definition?
    Adj. 1. well-nourished - properly nourished
    well-fed
    nourished - being provided with adequate nourishment
    and the pic that went with it? check it out, I'm a happy little piggy eating flowers:) http://www.thefreedictionary.com/well-nourished
  • chrs86
    So I figured my BF is around 17.5-18.3%. What is a good BF% to look lean and buff.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    For a normal BMI I should weigh between 122p and 164p. I started at 195p with a low carb high protein diet and only lost nine pounds in two months 7 days a week at the gym. I eventually gave up the protein goal of 1g per pound so I could reach my goal weight of 160p and lost 20 pounds in about a month. After I got to my goal weight I stopped going to the gym and gained 6lbs in three weeks. So now I don't want to stay so close to the highest BMI before I go overweight. I don't want to be a twig either though. I was thinking of going for 145 pound goal but the only time I weighed that much I was 14 and I looked highly malnourished. Where in the range would you recommend I set my goal weight and not look to slim?

Like others have said, you're better off using measurements and BF% to reach your goal now, instead of weight and BMI. I personally think the BMI method is very helpful in giving a very basic, general idea of a healthy weight range for most people. Once you're within that healthy weight range, measurements and BF will give you a more precise idea of what's the best weight/size for your body.

Also, I agree that you should continue going to the gym even though you've already reached your original goal. I've found that one thing that has helped me not start gaining weight back after I reached my original goal was to make new goals. For me, those new goals were strength training, lowering my BF%, running a 5K, and now running a half marathon. Making new fitness goals for yourself keeps it exciting and makes you want to keep hitting the gym! :D Good luck!