A long journey from Fathappy to Fithappy with and Ironman in sight

Options
13»

Replies

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Brad, as an athlete are you familiar with Metabolic Efficiency by Bob Seebohar? May be a good resource for you.
  • bradcfairchild
    bradcfairchild Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    solieco1 wrote: »
    Brad, as an athlete are you familiar with Metabolic Efficiency by Bob Seebohar? May be a good resource for you.

I am now. Thanks for the tip.
  • bradcfairchild
    Options
    Why did I include in the title of this discussion, "A long journey". It's almost like I made a self fulfilled prophecy. What's really cool about my road to success at the moment is this: I'm feeling great and losing weight without a lot of exercise and I definitely don't feel like I'm dieting. I almost feel like I'm pigging out! My wife pointed out this morning, if I was to go on a walk or do anything it would help like 4 times. She's most likely correct. The only things I've been (kind of) consistent with is, hiking and (more) consistent with is, flying paragliders. I took some time away from hiking to Faux paint our garage door, which took several morning I could have hiked. Morning was the only time cool enough to paint. If I don't say so myself, the garage doors, looks pretty good for an amateur. :smile:

I go in this week to meet with the Doctor to schedule getting the titanium plate out of my shoulder. It will probably come out early next month? After that I have a few weeks before I can start working out with swimming, biking and running. I've been really good about not doing repetitive arm movements like running.

My neighbor did the Coeur Da'lene Idaho Ironman last weekend. That was going to be my 10 year anniversary of Ironmanship. I watch his progress through the day. It looked like another hard one. Hot and windy! In a weird way I was relieved that I wasn't doing it. However, I am looking forward to being in better shape for St George Half Ironman in May 2017.

This time I am going to join our local pool and start swimming once or twice a week. I only swam one time before I did the St George in May of 2016. I occasionally used a machine called a body glide to help maintain some semblance of swimming.

If I continue to loose weight, that will be the biggest success with both biking and running.

So my long journey continues... Sometime we learn things in the weirdest ways. You gotta be grateful for all of it or it's no fun! Being grateful is a game we play in our heads that make the world appear better than it actually is.
  • bradcfairchild
    Options
    No big news to record. I'm still toying with lowering my carbs. It's sometimes really hard to eat a lower carb diet, like 50 grams a day. I did it for a couple weeks. I could tell that I was in ketosis some of the time. Then things happened like, we had a anniversary dinner with all you can eat desserts (So good but I felt like crap afterwords). Also our peach tree is ripe now. Most of the time I am trying to eat less easy carbs, more vegetables, more good fat, more water, sometimes I even have bacon like this morning. It's been worth a try to see how my body works with this way of eating. In comparison I think I do and feel better without the sweets. They are everywhere though, so it not the easiest way to diet. I think I will settle into a more normal diet but keep the easy carbs low and see how I do over the next few months.

The plate in my shoulder comes out in a week. Then a short waiting period to let the scar and muscles heal and I will start back into my work outs and work back up to where I need to be to do the half next May. I've have been hiking and flying a lot. I could have been spinning too but haven't done it. (I'm a very Bad Boy!)
  • bradcfairchild
    Options
    I got the titanium plate out yesterday. It went well. I'm feeling pretty good considering. So far ice and Ibuprofen is keeping the pain down enough. This time around my arm is a lot more mobile than the first surgery. I have to take it somewhat easy for a couple weeks then I will start some moderate exercising.
  • bradcfairchild
    Options
    Just got back from a 10 day Mediterranean Cruise. Yes, I gained a few lbs, around six. It was the chocolate melting cake. OK, and I over ate most nights. It was worth it. My wife lost a few. Not fair for a second. But I'm happy for her. She is amazing! I feel good. My upper body is still very weak but I did light arm exercises most days on the cruise and it is definitely helping. I'm taking advantage of the last couple good days before day light savings end by riding my bike to and from work. We're going to join the local recreation center that has a pool. I'm going to swim in preparation for St. George half Ironman this May. Last time I only used my machine and swam once. This time, at least once a week will be a good goal. So the journey continues. I really do think it's more a a journey rather than an end result.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Hi Brad, Sounds like a fun time. I imagine the 6 pounds will drop of super quickly. I came back from Italy several pounds up but it was gone in 2 weeks. Have you done St George before?
  • bradcfairchild
    Options
    solieco1 wrote: »
    Hi Brad, Sounds like a fun time. I imagine the 6 pounds will drop of super quickly. I came back from Italy several pounds up but it was gone in 2 weeks. Have you done St George before?

Hey it's coming off. Yea!

Yes I did St. George last year. It was super cold and wet. People were shivering out of control. I was lucky to come out of the water at the same time as it was pouring so I took the time to put all my layers on. I'm doing it again this year. I couldn't do Coeurdalene because of the shoulder. The injury kind of convinced me that whole Ironman is too much to train for, with my life style. I love southern Utah anyway, it's on Saturday, it less money, and I have a place to stay. It's kind of a no-brainer for me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!