Some throughts from the Half way mark... (22 of 43 lbs down)

Options
pgray007
pgray007 Posts: 47 Member
After about 90 days I'm half way to my goal of 195 lbs and wanted to share a few thoughts in the hopes that they might help someone. I've been obese/overweight for most of my life, and haven't seen a "one" to lead the scale since I was about 17 (I'm now 39). This is my third strong push with MFP, but this time feels more successful, here's what I've learned thus far:

1) Set a "BHAG" (Big, Hairy, Audacious Goal)
In the past, I'd always started out with a "soft" goal, for example "I'll loose 10 lbs and take it from there." This ended up being rather frustrating, since I'd hit the "goal" and then essentially be faced with starting the whole process over again. I'd never really make significant progress, and it always seemed like sub-200 was some strange monster that lived in the hills that'd I'd never see. This time I started with the stated goal of 195, and it feels like I'm half way through a journey rather than lost in the woods. Using something like HappyScale (iOS app) is nice since it breaks the goal into milestones, but for me, a big goal seems to work better than trying to set "micro goals."

2) Log IMMEDIATELY
When I've fallen off the wagon before, it usually starts with "Oh, I'll just log this later." Now, I force myself to log immediately as I start eating a meal or snack. This makes it far less likely that I'll go for a second helping, or have "a pretzel or two" turn into a dozen with cheese.

3) Shop the log
I also try to check multiple snack/meal options before I eat, especially at restaurants. When I'm extra organized, I'll even walk into the restaurant knowing exactly what I'll order and have it already logged, so I know what I'm getting into in terms of calories.

4) Go for non-food rewards
In the past, I'd "reward" myself with a splurge day or high-calorie meal. Now, I try to select a non-food reward. For my half way milestone, combined with some great cycling training, I got a new road bike. You certainly don't have to go this far, but a new clothing or sports item is a nice reward and reinforces the healthy lifestyle versus a food "reward" that turns into a punishment later.

5) MFP is my "glasses"
During my past yo-yo's, I eventually decided I didn't "need" MFP anymore. This was just as much of a mistake as someone who needs glasses suddenly deciding that since they can see, they no longer need glasses. For whatever strange combination of genetics, environment, or whatnot, I'm going to need to log to stay on target. After seeing the results, it's not a bad trade for a healthier body and mind.

Replies

• ForMe2No
    ForMe2No Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    These are all very good. I especially like number 1. Most times you see people say the opposite. But what you have here is what has worked for me. I never set a small goal to begin with. I set out to lose 110lbs in a year. I am 22 days and 8lbs away from that goal. But even if I don't make it in that timeframe. I'm ok with that cause I know I will make it. Congrats to you! Keep up the good work! You have a great attitude and outlook on this...you will reach your goal!
  • firstlay_d
    firstlay_d Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love it.. Thanks! You got this!
  • ceejayhatton_mfp
    ceejayhatton_mfp Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good stuff...congrats on the "half way" point.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,303 Member
    Options
    I like your post because you've pinpointed what is working for you. LIke the first point..others say the opposite..because for them that is their reality. The greatest thing is ..you've figured out your path and looks like you're going to make it. Congrats on your success..and thanks for your advice.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!