Weights - total newbie!

Options
I am currently losing weight and have done in the past before but usual story, I piled it all back on. I have around 30 pounds to lose but also want to start using weights as I read time and again it's a good thing to help and I also want to gain muscle, strength and as a female to help bone density.

However, I have not done any exercise since I was a teen and I'm in my 30's now! I have NO idea where to start.

I cannot go to a gym, single mum to a disabled child prevents me so I have a room cleared for my own set up, I also have a boyfriend who can watch my form (he has done some weight training in the past). But I'd like to know from you guys:

What do I need to buy ideally?
What are good routines/websites with routines for absolute beginners.
Anything else I may need to know :)

Thanks!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, I'd get a rack, bench and Olympic bar with plates. Also, plate loadable dumbbells would be good. You can look at bodybuilding.com and muscleandstrength.com for programs by equipment. You could also check out New Rules of Lifting for Women and see if you could modify to the equipment you have. Really, start with the big, compound lifts, squats, deadlifts, OHP, bench and bent over rows and add in accessory work as desired. Stick with a weight that fatigues you in less than 10 reps. Once you build up a little and have form down, you could look at any number of programs.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I agree that free weights and a rack would be ideal... many other legitimate options though, from a bow flex to a pull up bar.

If your going to do it at home, consider getting some kind of beach body dvd or going to youtube or fitness blender for ideas on what to do and form.
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Check out Craigslist for equipment and fitness DVDs -- people are always getting rid of stuff for a lot cheaper than you can buy in stores.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, you've given me some good ideas there.

I just read on another thread that: "You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time" is a myth.

Do I have to wait until I have lost my 30 pounds to start with weights? Or does it mean I'll only gain muscle once I'm at a lower weight?
  • ravenmiss
    Options
    Thanks all, you've given me some good ideas there.

I just read on another thread that: "You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time" is a myth.

Do I have to wait until I have lost my 30 pounds to start with weights? Or does it mean I'll only gain muscle once I'm at a lower weight?

Ignore me, I've done some more reading and understand this now :)
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you lift heavy, you could see a bit of muscle gain at first. The number on the scale will drop a little slower. But, you'll be retaining muscle and losing more fat than no lifting. You really can't gain significant mass without eating at a surplus. But, losing the fat will show the muscle you have.
  • ravenmiss
    Options
    If you lift heavy, you could see a bit of muscle gain at first. The number on the scale will drop a little slower. But, you'll be retaining muscle and losing more fat than no lifting. You really can't gain significant mass without eating at a surplus. But, losing the fat will show the muscle you have.

Awesome, thanks ever so much! :D