Anyone else with stomach health issues?

Options
megzchica23
megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
I don't have a gallbladder and I have a hiatal hernia and IBS. I was wanting to make friends with others who have stomach issues.

Replies

• BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    IBS here
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    IBD (inflammatory bowel disease)- severe fistulizing Crohn's colitis to be precise
  • megzchica23
    Options
    IBD (inflammatory bowel disease)- severe fistulizing Crohn's colitis to be precise

That sounds very painful. I'm sorry you have to endure that.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I have IBS, it's under control now (avoiding stress), but the moment I feel stressed, my gut churns and I know my day is over.
  • megzchica23
    Options
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    I have IBS, it's under control now (avoiding stress), but the moment I feel stressed, my gut churns and I know my day is over.

Same here. We are going on a cruise this August and I'm freaking out a little about how my tummy will handle it.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    By now you've likely discovered what you can and cannot eat. Perhaps you can pack some things you know you're good with? Even just knowing you have food your body can handle can make it easier. I went on a cruise once, I don't remember any bathrooms other than the one in our room, not sure if there were any on deck. Take a look at your ship's layout, maybe you'll find some scattered throughout so you don't have to try to make it back to your room.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Same here. We are going on a cruise this August and I'm freaking out a little about how my tummy will handle it.

We went on a cruise a few years back, and I found plenty to eat. They always had veggies and baked meats, and salads.

Ibs-d. No soy, wheat, milk.(nuts, chocolate, preserved meats, aged cheeses- migraine triggers). Trying a FODMAP approach- just started.
  • megzchica23
    Options
    By now you've likely discovered what you can and cannot eat. Perhaps you can pack some things you know you're good with? Even just knowing you have food your body can handle can make it easier. I went on a cruise once, I don't remember any bathrooms other than the one in our room, not sure if there were any on deck. Take a look at your ship's layout, maybe you'll find some scattered throughout so you don't have to try to make it back to your room.
    Elise4270 wrote: »

We went on a cruise a few years back, and I found plenty to eat. They always had veggies and baked meats, and salads.

Ibs-d. No soy, wheat, milk.(nuts, chocolate, preserved meats, aged cheeses- migraine triggers). Trying a FODMAP approach- just started.

Yeah. I'm not so worried about the food. Mostly just the stress that comes with my anxiety about new places and making sure I have everything, yada yada.

Also, this is the first time I have ventured more than 2 hours from home in the last 3 years. I have always been scared.
  • megzchica23
    Options
    quesera6 wrote: »
    i had my gall bladder removed 8 years ago, theres certain foods i shouldnt eat that are high in fat or i end up with severe stomach cramps etc.. So i dont eat them, now i changed my diet to a heathier option i dont have so many problems in that area. Your welcome to add me if you like? ive just signed back up and will be logging my food daily.
    Yeah, I have gotten pretty good about eating well. So my stomach isn't nearly as bad as it use to. I also drink sleepy time tea every night which helps me relax and I don't get as many stomach cramps anymore. It is nice.
  • megzchica23
    Options
    i had my gall bladder removed 8 years ago, theres certain foods i shouldnt eat that are high in fat or i end up with severe stomach cramps etc.. So i dont eat them, now i changed my diet to a heathier option i dont have so many problems in that area. Your welcome to add me if you like? ive just signed back up and will be logging my food daily.
    Yeah, I have gotten pretty good about eating well. So my stomach isn't nearly as bad as it use to. I also drink sleepy time tea every night which helps me relax and I don't get as many stomach cramps anymore. It is nice.

one of my daughters has had ibs since she was a little girl she loves drinking green tea and peppermint tea it very calming for her stomach and a good detox.

Yes, I drink green tea every day.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I was extremely overtreated with antibiotics. Then wrongly prescribed a vasoconstrictor that caused severe nerve pain in my face. I wasn't able to eat properly, or sleep properly, was under extreme traumatic stress, went from active dancer to sedentary. I now have GI problems and can't digest a lot of foods. I am making progress recovering with diet and lifestyle.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Currently going through IBD testing after 10 years plus of nasty symptoms incl bleeding. My calprotectin tests came in over normal and I'm being retested. Flexible sigmoidoscopy was Jan ..... all fun.

I hope you enjoy your cruise it sounds wonderful
  • megzchica23
    Options
    I was extremely overtreated with antibiotics. Then wrongly prescribed a vasoconstrictor that caused severe nerve pain in my face. I wasn't able to eat properly, or sleep properly, was under extreme traumatic stress, went from active dancer to sedentary. I now have GI problems and can't digest a lot of foods. I am making progress recovering with diet and lifestyle.

Oh wow. That is a horrible story and also why doctors scare me a lot. I am glad you're working through it though. I hope to get back to the way I was before my GI problems as well. You never realize how much it affects your whole life till you go through it.
  • megzchica23
    Options
    Currently going through IBD testing after 10 years plus of nasty symptoms incl bleeding. My calprotectin tests came in over normal and I'm being retested. Flexible sigmoidoscopy was Jan ..... all fun.

I have only had mine for 3 years. I really hope you can get some relief.

Thank you, I think I will. It is my first real vacation as an adult. I have been working my butt off for 12 years and finally get a reward. Haha!
  • singingflutelady
    Options

They didn't do a colonoscopy?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Oh wow. That is a horrible story and also why doctors scare me a lot. I am glad you're working through it though. I hope to get back to the way I was before my GI problems as well. You never realize how much it affects your whole life till you go through it.

Thank you! That is so true.
  • megzchica23
    Options

It really is. I have never felt so tired and exhausted as I do now. I can feel so good all day then my stomach attacks me and bam I feel like I was hit by a bus and just want to go home and curl up in a ball. It is hard to get my fiance to understand sometimes how bad it can be. I use to be one of those people who went non-stop. I always was like, "Oh pain. Suck it up." Now I know better. Now I know that sometimes you have to slow down a bit before you break yourself.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

It really is. I have never felt so tired and exhausted as I do now. I can feel so good all day then my stomach attacks me and bam I feel like I was hit by a bus and just want to go home and curl up in a ball. It is hard to get my fiance to understand sometimes how bad it can be. I use to be one of those people who went non-stop. I always was like, "Oh pain. Suck it up." Now I know better. Now I know that sometimes you have to slow down a bit before you break yourself.

I almost died because of the suck it up attitude. I ignored symptoms for years blaming IBS until I couldn't ignore it anymore. I had an emergency colonoscopy and I was days away from perforating and my entire large intestine was ulcerated and inflamed. My iron was 0, hemoglobin 6.0, albumin was super low and I went from bmi 20.0 to 16.3 in 2 weeks and was passing out. I very easily could have died.