To much a bad thing?

Options
Almost everyday I am going over my protien and fiber! How is that a bad thing? Can someone explain it to me please?

Replies

• iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I don't think it is a bad thing! :wink:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad thing... I think MFP's fiber and protein recommendations are both low. I've switched mine to 55% carbs/25%protein/20% fat (or something really close). My fiber goal is 30g/day.

Going over on carbs (especially processed carbs) and fats (particularly unhealthy fats) would be of more concern than going over on protein and fiber. I'd recommend you search the boards for protein topics - lots of people have asked this already and there have been good discussions...
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    MFP's recommendations are low on fiber and protein. I also think they're far high in carbs. Mine are set at 50/25/25 with a fiber goal of 30g.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't be too bad. I agree with allislefttogain. Definitely change your fiber to at least 25g. I have mine at 25 but feel better at about 30. Protein should be at least 30%.
  • tibetanmonkey
    Options
    I'm SO glad you mentioned this as it's on my mind every time I've seen those -red numbers come up on my page. I think it's way too "in the weeds" for MFP to even say when you're over on these things... unless someone is following a diet that restricts them, in which case, showing these "overages" should be optional. The fact that it's automatically there in my report is a bit unsettling to me and it sometimes makes me question whether I'm eating right or not. Here's what I've decided:
    What matters is whether I'm eating healthily and if I'm reaching the health/weight goals I've set for myself in a healthy time frame that works for me. If I were working on a certain diet plan that counted these particular items, the numbers might be helpful to me. I'm just counting calories, though, and trying to keep within a 1200-1500 calorie diet every day with a concentration on incorporating more veggies and fruits into my meals. If I am consistently WAY over on carbs, proteins or fiber (or "whatever") and it bothers me, personally, I'll just figure out what foods are the "culprits" and make a few adjustments. If I'm getting the results I want and I am eating an overall healthy diet, I'm not going to worry too much about it. If I am seriously concerned about it, though, I know a registered dietician can help demystify the red numbers for me, let me know if my balance is off and get me on track to a better balance.
    Best of luck to you!

By the way, I've lost 10 lbs since 1June and I can't figure out how to get my ticker on here!
    Maybe you shouldn't listen to me after all! heheheee :)
    Blessings and blessings...

Wait! I think I've got it!

YAY!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    MFP gives every person a "general" ratio when you join the site. But, since every person in this world is different, they do have a "custom" option so that each individual can go in and adjust their ratios (and grams for fiber and things) to meet their needs. I know for me personally, since I am training for a half marathon, I am eating more carbs (good ones of course), so I adjusted my ratios a while back. But, I do know individuals who do better on a lower-carb lifestyle, in which case they would adjust their carbs lower and probably increase proteins/fats. And, its okay if you are unsure at first at what you should be at. For those who are unsure at what their body feels the best at, or what their body needs to lose weight (as some people have a hard time with carbs), you can play around with the ratios for a while, or ask people who you feel follow a similar lifestyle.

But, I know initially when I created my MFP account, I noticed that I was going over on my protein quite frequently, and my carbs were not being met. Since I was doing a lot of strength training at the time I felt I should change my ratios as suggested by the program, just to get a feel for things and see how my body got along. (It was the ChaLean Extreme program). And it was beneficial. But, now that I'm running more and training, my body is needing more fuel from carbs to keep me going through to 10+ miles of running.

So, in conclusion (I tend to be long winded), do what feels good for you. Each person will differ slightly in their ratios/goals. Good luck and keep doing your research and experimenting to find out what your body needs to keep you going!! :flowerforyou:
  • sheriz22
    sheriz22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the feedback, I will stop letting those red numbers scare me:)