Never ran or done yoga in my life - which do I try first?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm getting back to my diet (finally) after Christmas and new year. Besides walking/cycling to the supermarket or strolling round the shops now and then, I'm pretty sedentary, and I find it hard to stick to an exercise routine. I feel self concious in the gym, it's not a place I like to be. But, I have a trip booked for May so I want to start running, and I want to start yoga classes, in the hopes of trimming up a little before I go. I've never done either in my life, and not being too active I'm a bit stiff and not very fit.

So, I'm wondering which would be best to begin with? Would running a few times first help loosen me up for my first try of yoga? Or vice versa, would yoga make running easier?

Thanks!

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Actually yoga and running are good partners. Why not do both?
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Do both. They are very different physical creatures- cardio vs stretching/body strength, so there's no reason to start doing them both at once. They actually compliment each other. Take it slow and ease into both of them, though! Find a good beginners yoga class and start walking with interspersed jogging to build up your endurance.
  • pluginkate
    pluginkate Posts: 10 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm going to do both XD I just wondered which would be best/easier to start first for someone not in great shape, as I've never done either.

Or do you mean start both at the same time?
  • pluginkate
    Options
    Do both. They are very different physical creatures- cardio vs stretching/body strength, so there's no reason to start doing them both at once. They actually compliment each other. Take it slow and ease into both of them, though! Find a good beginners yoga class and start walking with interspersed jogging to build up your endurance.

Yeah, I have the Couch to 5K app, which I've had for a long while actually, but haven't plucked up the courage to get going. My local gym does a yoga class that says its for any level, but I figured I could start off at home, too.

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    If you have a lack of time and weight loss is your goal, I would run. Start with the Couch To 5K app and work up from there. Yoga will not help your weight loss (not many calories burned), but it will help you with your running by increasing your strength and flexibility. Both of these will help you to avoid injury and just feel good overall.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest yoga and walking. When you can walk 3 miles at a fairly good pace, then start on c25k.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If you've never done yoga before please go to a class first. The teacher can make sure you're doing the poses right and not about to hurt yourself. It's almost impossible to learn on your own and you will always be craning your neck trying to see the tv/computer. Good luck!
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    If you've never done yoga before please go to a class first. The teacher can make sure you're doing the poses right and not about to hurt yourself. It's almost impossible to learn on your own and you will always be craning your neck trying to see the tv/computer. Good luck!

This! If you have a gym membership, it's likely there are group fitness classes and yoga will be one of them. I personally do yoga, run, and do spinning classes (which I teach) and I find that they complement each other very well.
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I just started doing yoga with the "daily yoga" app. It's helped my flexibility and balance for the sports I play...
  • pluginkate
    Options
    There is a yoga class at my gym, I just worry about not being able to keep up and feeling foolish :( It's daunting. I found a routine for beginners on Pinterest, only about 5 basic poses, and tried them with my iPad on a chair in front of me, that seemed easy enough.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Classes are a set amount of time, but aside from the classes, I would suggest that you think of trying things at the gym in ten minute time frames. That way, you don't feel defeated if you don't like something.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Why not both?
  • lyssa1210
    lyssa1210 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I hope you can find a good yoga teacher because sometimes in gyms the teachers have been to a weekend workshop to learn how to teach and it is unsafe. I've been teaching yoga for 16 years and doing it for 26. It is way more than a fitness choice, so see how much you want out of yoga and take it slow. There are so many variations and so many different degrees of difficulty. If you have a town that has a studio I'd try a class here first . And yes it goes well with any other form of exercise. It will enhance your flexibility and strength as well as increase your mental well-being. Good luck!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    do both.
    c25k is a great way to start running

yoga is for every body. and every ability. tell the teacher you are new.

i highly suggest classes first. it will help you with form and alignment. bad alignment can lead to injury
  • isabcas
    isabcas Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    don't feel foolish, everyone in every class had to start somewhere.
    A good teacher will never make you feel foolish

I agree that taking at least one class will help you to know how to do the poses correctly b/c they need to be done that way.
  • smc0170
    smc0170 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Absolutely both! I run two or three times a week, and use yoga during my rest and recovery day for strength and stretching. I've been injury free since starting yoga a year and a half ago.

Don't worry at all about embarrassing yourself. I had the same fears when I started too, and no one cares whatsoever except you. Also don't be afraid to use things like yoga blocks or bands when doing it. As our instructor says "using tools is a sign of strength, not weakness".
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    do both.
    c25k is a great way to start running

yoga is for every body. and every ability. tell the teacher you are new.

i highly suggest classes first. it will help you with form and alignment. bad alignment can lead to injury

mmmmm idk about that haha I cannot do yoga at all lol it just doesn't feel like I'm doing anything.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Of course you can do both at the same time. They compliment each other!!

I would suggest going to a beginner yoga class and you'll have to give it time to be able to focus. I think it was about 6 classes before I could relax my mind enough to enjoy it....Now I look forward to my yoga night!!!!

I just started running last year and has been a slow go of it. It was just in the last month that the running bug has got me. I was finally able to run 5km straight, I guess for the Americans that is the equivalent of 3.1miles. I may be slow, but I can run it and now love it!! I look forward to my next run to see if I can beat or match my last time.

Wish you the best!!!
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I agree with doing both and starting with yoga classes first! My studio does a beginner workshop once a month and it is fantastic! It's a couple hours and they take you pose-by-pose and show you correct form and why you're doing what you're doing. I'm sure other studios do this too.

• hypnobabe67
    hypnobabe67 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do Les Mills Body Balance (a mix of yoga/Pilates/Tai chi) which is excellent. the class is mixed ability from former gymnasts to people in their 70's it has been excellent at toning me up, it is also a friendly inclusive class and honestly the former gymnast can do more but she is working and struggling as hard as we are
    But i agree you do need to do a class its easy to hurt yourself. I also do resistance (weights) again for toning and muscle gain/maint. I walk and cycle for aerobics, as long as your out of breath :) Personally i find the resistance is better for weight loss (if that is the goal) rather than cardio but you need all for all round health