how often do you eat junk food?

Options

Replies

• saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I try to limit my processed food intake, but I'll splurge on things like chips and queso or cookies from coworkers maybe once a week. I do also enjoy craft beer (usually a stout) 2-3 times a week, and have zero guilt about it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'll have pizza once a week and some beers. Ice cream, cake maybe 3 times a year, chips once a month, very little candy.

I go for 1g protein per pound of bodyweight, restricting the junk/non nutrient dense foods lets me hit that easily and stay good with calories. I do 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    in moderation
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I eat what I want, in moderation. I weigh and measure everything I eat. I will allow myself snacks like popcorn, nuts (I eat those daily), crackers (the kind with flavors). I like chips too and always weigh them and never eat more than 1 ounce in one sitting. And one ounce of chips is a lot. I always try to eat fruits but at times allow myself the other snacks. I don't really crave chocolate like I used to and don't care for ice cream anymore. Thank goodness. I think I get to the point of not wanting that stuff after I've been eating better for so long. I just crave healthier things.
  • Ifitfits
    Ifitfits Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Yea, but you can't hit macro goals without eating a pretty balanced diet. That being said, I consider fiber as a "macro" for myself as well.

So do i but its most definitely not counted towards calories where other macros are , its technically a micro nutrient but yeah , the most important thing after my carbs , proteins and fats is fiber .

• ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I don't label food 'good' 'bad' 'junk' etc. I eat all the foods I like, with a focus on portion control and balance. I've maintained a 50lb loss for almost 3 years now doing this (correcting some weight creep right now, due to not tracking/watching portion sizes). Today my meal plan includes lots of veggies, and also potato chips :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I already had 18 caramel Hershey's kisses and 1.5 servings of sweetened dried coconut pieces (basically just candy) today so I would say that I have junk food about every day :) However I do make room in my caloric allowance for it. Plus I walk between 3-6 miles every day so that nets me another couple hundred calories.

I really don't eat a lot of "junk food" though. Breakfast was plain oatmeal and a hard-boiled egg, lunch is usually a turkey sandwich and a piece of fruit, etc. I'm without a kitchen for the next month so I have been subsisting on things that I don't have to cook or can just cook in the microwave - its difficult but I'm making it work. I don't care too much for fast food like burgers, fries, etc. Last two times I went out to eat were Jimmy Johns (<450 calorie sandwich) and Taco Bell (three crunchy tacos are 510 calories and 24g protein - not the worst fast food lunch one can get!)

See, I put bread in the 'lots of calories and not filling at all' category as well, personally, and try very hard to avoid sandwiches for that reason, lol.

But yeah, that's what 'junk' is to me... not filling foods. And I do eat some, I just try to limit it to 200-300 calories a day so I don't get too hungry (the last two days my poison was a donut. The day before, cookies).
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Almost every day I indulge in something....and I still lose weight. It's a fraction of my daily calories and for me worth working these tiny treats in!! So ice cream it is!!!
  • momof4girls48
    momof4girls48 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    A small treat a couple times a week.
  • jessicagosz
    jessicagosz Posts: 9 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm maintaining and my calories are 1490 without exercise.(weekly) I eat treats Daily ( i have a soft spot for Hershey & recess individual serving pies and dairy queen) However I do not allow myself to touch them until i exercise I earn up to 1800-2000 calories with exercise, if i don't exercise I don't get my treats Keeps me pretty motivated to get off my butt and get my workouts done. Also I do not keep any of above listed things in my house to avoid temptation and splurges therefor i have to work out then hop my butt into the car and drive to the store to get it. :D On the weekends that is a whole different level, I allow myself to eat whatever I want for two days (within reason and as long as it is appropriate portions and there is no binging out on everything) it has worked for me I have been maintaining at 111 pounds for 5 months now.
  • NovaDuck
    NovaDuck Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Every week is perfectly fine (and I have a treat daily, like chocolate or something) as long as you meet your calorie goals!
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Like many here... every day... I just make it fit into my daily calorie goals.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    almost everyday as long as it is in my calorie goal !
  • fleurk126
    fleurk126 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty strict about what I eat 5 days a week, but at weekends I relax the rules. Saturday I eat what I like, but try to stay within my calorie allowance and Sundays I eat whatever I like and not worry about the cals. If you really miss the junk food then I'd say you're not enjoying your life as much as you could. Find a way of building in treats that works for you otherwise you'll be fighting cravings forever! Good luck
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    I gained 15 lbs over the winter and went off junk food and lost 10 but I really miss it. Thinking about allowing myself to have some pie,cake,sundae, etc once every 2 wks. What works for you, I don't know ,may not be able to handle it, may just start me up.

How often do you eat junk food ?

@brenn24179 After I was able to start thinking of living instead of dying after getting off (Oct 2014) sugars and all forms of grains (yes the first two weeks was hellish) I am never going back to junk food as long as my memory is intact. I am now 65 years old and know to not play with carb fire any longer after playing with them and wrecking my health.

Best of success. If young people will make small changes early you will not have to go through what I did to my body with just 'food'. I never smoked, drank or did drugs yet people ask if I got ran over by a big truck or train.

Use MFP to the max.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    i do not eat processed foods, greek yogurt is a treat!
    Lol, unless you're making yogurt yourself, it's a "processed" food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Rit1603 wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Junk food?

Eat whatever you like. Just hit your calorie/macro goals.

Excuse me can you all tell me how you stay under your macros and eat whatever you like? My plan is 1389 cal x day and I made few trials so tomorrow if the only food I eat is 1 cupcake I already go over my macros. I then tried with chicken nuggets and same . ???? Maybe I got this all wrong but I would love to eat a pizza tomorrow. Maybe i'll get a very light salad at lunch and a good pizza at dinner.
    You DON'T stay under your macros, you meet them. If you go over, but still are within a calorie deficit, it doesn't matter.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I gained 15 lbs over the winter and went off junk food and lost 10 but I really miss it. Thinking about allowing myself to have some pie,cake,sundae, etc once every 2 wks. What works for you, I don't know ,may not be able to handle it, may just start me up.

I lost my desire for it and no longer want junk food. It's either too sweet or salty. When I see it, there is no longer that draw.
    The key early in my journey was making allowances for any foods that fit into my daily calorie allowance. And one day per week I needed that cheat day or free meal which gave me that moment where I could have ANYTHING...and it was OK.
    My eating now is very strict...and it's by choice as opposed to white-knuckling myself crazy with all the foods I can't eat. This morning I craved carrots...or at least carrots in my smoothie.
    B)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Junk food?

Eat whatever you like. Just hit your calorie/macro goals.

I'll never understand why people think this is good advice. Yes, I get it. You can lose weight by tracking your calories and macronutrients and you can eat more empty calories without getting fat.

There's a lot more to health than just weight. Being fairly interested in nutrition, it drives me nuts when people think avoiding carbs and eating 250g of protein a day, (lots of which comes from whey protein and processed red meat) is super ideal because they're limiting carbs which means you're going to lose more weight and get enormous.

Gosh, and I never get why people assume that eat what you want within your calories means that you would ignore nutrition or health considerations. For me, what I want is determined by lots of things: I want to eat a nutritionally balanced diet, I want to be satisfied, I want to feel good, I want to adequately fuel my training goals.

If what someone wants is nutritionally void (or they assume that about others), I think that says a lot about them. Personally, I assume when giving advice that people are sensible adults and will want sensible adult things and therefore that I don't have to worry that they will eat in some crazy way (or at least not do so without giving it some thought and having their own reasons for it that wouldn't be affected by my ideas about nutrition).

Edit: oh, whoops, got tricked by an old thread, even if not nearly as old as some zombies.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Could you please define junk food? But since you asked:

Pizza: very seldom.
    Sweets such as donuts, cookies, cup cakes candy: almost never.
    Cakes, pies, chocolate: very, very seldom.
    Ice cream: once in awhile. I don't have a sweet tooth.
    Fast food like McD, KFC, Jack, or any other fast food join: Nope
    Potato chips: very seldom

Note: I am not depriving myself of what I want to eat. I just choose not to eat it what some people describes as "junk food," because I am not attracted to it.