Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I can not kick the Nutella & ChocoDream addiction

Please help. The last four months I have completely changed my entire diet. I juice & eat organic fruit & veggies. Eat beans, humus, brown rice, nuts, two eggs per week & a peice of meat every other week. Recently I tried Justin's chocolate hazelnut butter spread on apples. It didn't stop there. Long story short, I need to kick this new unhealthy obsession/habit. It physically makes me feel crappy & emotionally ashamed. Any advice is welcome!!! I have Crohn's Disease and this new lifestyle is important. Thank you

Replies

• k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited March 2016
    Don't ban it, make it fit your calories for the day.

Banned foods loom large and dominate you. They drive you crazy with cravings . . . . . guilt and a sense of failure. Reclaim the power and make some accommodation within your daily foods. The key word being 'some'.

Good luck.

Edited for typo
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Can you buy it in small/individual serves to make it easier to eat it in moderation?
    Or buy the smallest serving size you can, enjoy some then give (or throw) the rest away.

Unless it's actually contra-indicated for Crohn's disease, I don't see why you don't eat it, just control the amount.
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    Fruit and chocholate? Imma try that sounds kinda healthy
  • mariamlosada7
    mariamlosada7 Posts: 3 Member
    Hello Everyone,

I am in the same situation :(

However, I no longer have the need to snack on the chocolates people bring at work :D also I have been having mid morning snacks (some nuts and 85% chocolate), seems to help with these cravings throughout the day...

However, the problem gets back once I am back at home from the gym, I could actually eat a whole chocolate bar :D ... any tips to stop this addiction?
  • Fayecg89
    Fayecg89 Posts: 35 Member
    try having a low fat low cal hot chocolate or some high coco dark chocolate. You'll find it difficult to eat as much dark chocolate as milk and it stops you wanting to eat anything else after. With the hot chocolate the water you make it with will help fill you up.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    fluffygio wrote: »
    Fruit and chocholate? Imma try that sounds kinda healthy

peanut butter on banana is AAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMAZING!!!!!!!!!
  • Hello Everyone,

I am in the same situation :(

However, I no longer have the need to snack on the chocolates people bring at work :D also I have been having mid morning snacks (some nuts and 85% chocolate), seems to help with these cravings throughout the day...

However, the problem gets back once I am back at home from the gym, I could actually eat a whole chocolate bar :D ... any tips to stop this addiction?

What do you eat when you get home from the gym? Do you go to the gym before or after dinner? I would suggest bringing a banana and some nut butter with you so that you can have something right after the gym. Or possibly a protein shake. My Protein makes a really good one. It doesn't have that weird after taste and mixes really well. It is also rated #1 with labdoor.com. I get the chocolate smooth, and it's nice and chocolaty.
  • cobblah
    cobblah Posts: 18 Member
    My dog woke me up at 3 am needing to go dig in the yard. Yes, DIG IN THE YARD AT 3 AM. The little jar of ChocoDream & my index finger met my mouth for a few minutes. I logged it in yesterday's food journal since I really don't remember the full enjoyment. It's Belgium chocolate & hazelnut crack from a health food store. My name is Dawn and I'm an addict.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited March 2016
    cobblah wrote: »
    My dog woke me up at 3 am needing to go dig in the yard. Yes, DIG IN THE YARD AT 3 AM. The little jar of ChocoDream & my index finger met my mouth for a few minutes. I logged it in yesterday's food journal since I really don't remember the full enjoyment. It's Belgium chocolate & hazelnut crack from a health food store. My name is Dawn and I'm an addict.

Maybe the trick is to remove the power from the food and put it in your own hands. Change your thought process. Instead of the food being strong, maybe your willpower just needs exercise. Make it a goal; "I will have a single serving of delicious and not-at-all-bad-for-me-in-moderation Justin's chocolate hazelnut butter spread but I will not have any more than that." Enjoy that mouth watering snack. Lick the spoon. Then practice your willpower to make it stronger.

My name is TinCan and I have weak willpower around peanut butter. I'm practicing tonight to make it stronger.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

Maybe the trick is to remove the power from the food and put it in your own hands. Change your thought process. Instead of the food being strong, maybe your willpower just needs exercise. Make it a goal; "I will have a single serving of delicious and not-at-all-bad-for-me-in-moderation Justin's chocolate hazelnut butter spread but I will not have any more than that." Enjoy that mouth watering snack. Lick the spoon. Then practice your willpower to make it stronger.

My name is TinCan and I have weak willpower around peanut butter. I'm practicing tonight to make it stronger.

Technically since that poster said that they used their index finger with the jar of ChocoDream - I think the power of the food was already in their hands...

But otherwise I wholeheartedly agree with the message of your post. Often people who try to completely cut out foods that they really enjoy in favor of a healthier lifestyle end up feeling too restricted and that is what makes them feel out of control when they encounter the foods they crave. This can feel a bit like an addiction, but often if the person finds ways to work the food into their diet in small amounts on a regular basis, they find that it is possible to moderate their intake and continue to enjoy that food. That doesn't work for everyone. Some people do find it easier to cut out trigger foods, but I know for me it was much more empowering to know that I can have one or two girl scout cookies and still reach my goals than to think that I could never have them again...

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    I was eating Nutella every day, until I went on a very low carb diet, now a moderately low carb diet, and have left my Nutella sitting unopened on the shelf for months now. I don't want it. If you send me your address, you can have it.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Technically since that poster said that they used their index finger with the jar of ChocoDream - I think the power of the food was already in their hands...

But otherwise I wholeheartedly agree with the message of your post. Often people who try to completely cut out foods that they really enjoy in favor of a healthier lifestyle end up feeling too restricted and that is what makes them feel out of control when they encounter the foods they crave. This can feel a bit like an addiction, but often if the person finds ways to work the food into their diet in small amounts on a regular basis, they find that it is possible to moderate their intake and continue to enjoy that food. That doesn't work for everyone. Some people do find it easier to cut out trigger foods, but I know for me it was much more empowering to know that I can have one or two girl scout cookies and still reach my goals than to think that I could never have them again...

So true to the bolded part. I have a major issue with authority, even that which I impose upon myself. To make something "off limits" automatically increases my urge to indulge.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I never said "no more Nutella." I started eating meat, vegetables, and fat, pretty much in that order, before even considering having something sweet. And now I don't want sweet things.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Mmm. I made homemade nutella and fluff pop tarts and they are divine.
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    edited March 2016
    Lol imma try that

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Recently I tried Justin's chocolate hazelnut butter spread on apples.

You liked that stuff? I thought it was nasty. Dry and salty, ugh. No one in my family liked it and we ended up chucking the jar.

I agree with not banning foods. I still buy Nutella, but I rarely eat more than a tbls a week, if that. It is far more for my husband and kid at this point. I haven't banned it for myself, I just don't really want it anymore. I'd rather eat other things when given the choice for the calories.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    190 calories for 2 tablespoons. It would be hard for me to fit in deficit or maintenance calories. I would end up hungry.

When I eat like this, I try very hard to log before I eat it. Sometimes tracking my phone down is such a pain (middle of the night) I'll skip it. My lazy ways working for me.

While I agree that banning something permanently isn't a good idea, I don't torture myself if I can help it. I wouldn't bring "chocolate butter" (anything that makes me crazy) in my house. Sometimes I think I'll be fine with a food but that changes. Or a family member has something that riles me up. Then I have to white knuckle it. Otherwise I will wipe out my deficit in 5 minutes.

The more I practice not eating something the easier it gets. However, it was so bad in the beginning that it's still bad now. I have progressed though. I don't think there is an overnight fix.