Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Less Than 3 Percent of Americans Live a Healthy Lifestyle

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    What is a healthy life style? Is there a clear "definition"? I don't think there is. So the study is bunk.

A healthy lifestyle seems pretty easy to define to me. Since there are known lifestyle factors associated with increased risk of disease, the less of those you engage in, the healthier your lifestyle.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    senecarr wrote: »
    A healthy diet for the survey is based on this rubric:
    http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/healthy_eating_index/healthyeatingindex2005factsheet.pdf
    Getting 50% or more of calories from solid fats, i.e., meats and saturated fats, is worth 0 points.
    No grains is 0 points.
    No fruit is worth 0 points.
    Saturated fats above 15% of calories is worth 0 points.

I assume they would consider milk substitutes to meet the milk category(?). If so, I'm good on diet for part of the year. I don't eat a lot of fruit when it's not in season. Even the vegetables that are really fruit I don't eat much of when not in season.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/healthy_eating_index/healthyeatingindex2005factsheet.pdf
    Getting 50% or more of calories from solid fats, i.e., meats and saturated fats, is worth 0 points.
    No grains is 0 points.

I assume they would consider milk substitutes to meet the milk category(?). If so, I'm good on diet for part of the year. I don't eat a lot of fruit when it's not in season. Even the vegetables that are really fruit I don't eat much of when not in season.

"Includes all milk products, such as fluid milk, yogurt, and cheese, and soy beverages."
    Soy milk would count, it sounds like Almond or other nut butters would technically not. Seeing as only dairy and soy milk are the only ones that have agreed to always fortify with vitamin D, I can see why the others are excluded.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    edited March 2016
    In spite of the fact that I am very healthy, I apparently do not live a "healthy" lifestyle. Very closed-minded interpretation regarding the diet, for one.
    So yes, I believe that this number would be accurate for people meeting *all four* of the conditions.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    No grains is 0 points.

"Includes all milk products, such as fluid milk, yogurt, and cheese, and soy beverages."
    Soy milk would count, it sounds like Almond or other nut butters would technically not. Seeing as only dairy and soy milk are the only ones that have agreed to always fortify with vitamin D, I can see why the others are excluded.

Doh! I didn't think about yogurt and cheese. I guess I'm good even without the milk. IDK if my almond milk has D or not, but I take a D supplement during the months when I'm not out in the sun so I'm not concerned about it.

I wonder how necessary fruit is on a regular basis. I eat a lot of vegetables but in winter it tends to be mostly greens, beans and root vegetables.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Color me not surprised.
  • senecarr
    The body fat percentage is the strongest limiting factor in their criteria.
    Diet was going to be what it was going to be as they used a rubric and decided healthy would be in the 40th percentile, so they kind of decided 40% of people have a healthy diet ahead of time. A score of 43 on the rubrick I believe would be needed - I can't see in the study, but based on looking up other surveys the the Healthy Eating Index scores for the 2005 HEI criteria. ~70% don't smoke. ~46 meet the exercise recommendations.

I'm still amazed that the body fat criteria caused only around 10% to meet it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    In order to pass, you have to hit all four markers...so the results aren't surprising. I mean I live what I consider to be a pretty healthy lifestyle...I eat well, as in primarily whole foods...mostly lean sourced protein, 6-8 servings of fruit and veg per day, whole grains, and healthy fats...I also exercise regularly in that I generally cycle anywhere from 60-80 miles per week and I lift a few days per week...I'm also at about 12% BF...but I also enjoy a nice cigar on the patio most nights when I get home...so I fail.

Most of my fitness friends have a vice or two as well, despite otherwise living a healthy lifestyle overall...they'd all likely fail this as well...so yeah, the results aren't too surprising.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Diet was going to be what it was going to be as they used a rubric and decided healthy would be in the 40th percentile, so they kind of decided 40% of people have a healthy diet ahead of time. A score of 43 on the rubrick I believe would be needed - I can't see in the study, but based on looking up other surveys the the Healthy Eating Index scores for the 2005 HEI criteria. ~70% don't smoke. ~46 meet the exercise recommendations.

What is considered a healthy BF% for women in the study?
  • senecarr

8% to 30% - I almost posted 33% off the top of my head but I double checked the article's full text:
    mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(16)00043-4/fulltext#sec1.4
  • senecarr
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    In order to pass, you have to hit all four markers...so the results aren't surprising. I mean I live what I consider to be a pretty healthy lifestyle...I eat well, as in primarily whole foods...mostly lean sourced protein, 6-8 servings of fruit and veg per day, whole grains, and healthy fats...I also exercise regularly in that I generally cycle anywhere from 60-80 miles per week and I lift a few days per week...I'm also at about 12% BF...but I also enjoy a nice cigar on the patio most nights when I get home...so I fail.

Most of my fitness friends have a vice or two as well, despite otherwise living a healthy lifestyle overall...they'd all likely fail this as well...so yeah, the results aren't too surprising.

The interesting thing is the lifting might not count. Active was based on acceleromotor movement. Those things don't tend to care if you're taking one step or pushing 600 lbs off your back, so long as the acceleration is the same, it doesn't know the force.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    It seems from a cursory glance that while each of the metrics doesn't set the bar particularly high, when combined to have to hit all 4 to be "healthy,' the bar might be very clearly too high.
  • Need2Exerc1se

8% to 30% - I almost posted 33% off the top of my head but I double checked the article's full text:
    mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(16)00043-4/fulltext#sec1.4

Cool. I live a healthy lifestyle for at least part of the year. :)
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,045 Member
    Sometimes i think that because a lot of people are food & fitness aware here on this website, we tend to forget what we see going to a Sporting Event, or going to the Mall etc----just from observing ppl out & about, i'd say it seems the survey is correct.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    post-32842-ron-swanson-yep-gif-yes-yup-fu-qhg3-28gotd8.gif
  • halfninja2
    halfninja2 Posts: 35 Member
    LINIA wrote: »
    Sometimes i think that because a lot of people are food & fitness aware here on this website, we tend to forget what we see going to a Sporting Event, or going to the Mall etc----just from observing ppl out & about, i'd say it seems the survey is correct.

Couldn't agree more - not to mention anyone who smokes, no matter how healthy they are otherwise.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    I have to say MFP has made a difference in my awareness. Now that I am no longer obese I do see more obese people. When looking at all four points there are few that meet them.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Could be. I am in a fitness challenge on Map My Walk. I go to the gym everyday and walk every day. Only my walk is calculated on Map My Walk, and I am in the top 5% of the people participating. A one hour walk daily? That really surprised me. I don't log my gym time on Map My Walk, so that is not even included.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    I might be healthy. I see you get points for eating things they like, and none deducted for consuming erm... Other stuff. Other than just smoking, which I don't.
  • senecarr
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I might be healthy. I see you get points for eating things they like, and none deducted for consuming erm... Other stuff. Other than just smoking, which I don't.

You get lower scores in the healthy eating rubrick if enough percent of calories come from added sugar, alcohol, or solid fat.
    For the study, they looked for people with the top 40% in the rubrick.