goal question

Options
I've had my goal at 2 lbs a week and did quite well for a while. Then I slacked for a couple of weeks. Now I'm trying to get back in the swing of things but finding the 2lb a week goal kind of daunting. I changed the setting to 1.5 but feeling like a failure by doing so. So I'm curious what most of you use for your settings.

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Mine is set to .5 lb and I get 1370 for cals. I have only 20 lbs til my goal weight.
  • ladytwilight72
    ladytwilight72 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Wow congrats for being so close to your goal :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have custom goals (different for different days), but I have it so that at the end of the week my deficit will be large enough for 0.5 lb loss.

I stuck to 1 lb per week for most of my loss and only decreased it about 5 lbs ago (I'm at the lower end of healthy bmi now). I was for a long time going with the no more than 1% of body weight loss recommendation, but about 5 lbs ago it just became to hard to stick to a 1 lb per week loss.

Usual recommendations for goals:
    - No more than 1% of your body weight per week
    - 0.5 lbs per week if 25 lbs or less to lose
    - 1 lb per week if looking to lose 25-50 lbs
    - 1.5 lb per week if looking to lose 50- 75 lbs
    - 2 lbs per week if looking to lose 75+ lbs
  • ladytwilight72
    Options
    I have custom goals (different for different days), but I have it so that at the end of the week my deficit will be large enough for 0.5 lb loss.

I stuck to 1 lb per week for most of my loss and only decreased it about 5 lbs ago (I'm at the lower end of healthy bmi now).

Usual recommendations for goals:
    - No more than 1% of your body weight per week
    - 0.5 lbs per week if 25 lbs or less to lose
    - 1 lb per week if looking to lose 25-50 lbs
    - 1.5 lb per week if looking to lose 50- 75 lbs
    - 2 lbs per week if looking to lose 75+ lbs

Thank you for the info
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    1. Don't feel like a failure. 2 pounds a week is a very aggressive goal, and it's probably the biggest mistake most people, myself included, make when trying to lose weight. We want it gone and we want it gone now, so we choose the highest amount and go hardcore, but then get "burned out" quickly. Choosing a smaller goal is not bad, and actually allows for you to make lifestyle changes that you can maintain in the long run, rather than just hop and a diet for the short term only to gain everything back.

2. To answer your question, I began with a 2 pound a week goal, which gave me 1200 calories. I did well for a while, and then got to a point where I felt like I was starving all the time, which lead to me eating everything in sight. I adjusted my goal to 1 pound a week. I now have 1560 calories and everything is much more manageable. Some days I actually only eat 1200, and others I eat every bit allotted. I've lost 14 pounds, and am 10 away from my goal
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have probably close to 100 to use and I have mine set to 1 a week. Knowing that I can leave more out there and it not be terrible but if I don't I will still lose a pound. Might not be fast but it's easier for me to sustain this way and so far I've been at 2 lbs a week anyway without the pressure to do so.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I have heard .5 pound for every 25 pound your trying to lose. Make sense to me, big loses when you have a lot to lose and small losses when you approach goal.

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 0.5lb/week.
    I prefer to have a higher goal so I can eat a realistic amount of food. And when I exercise I get to eat more.
    I just don't see the point in trying to lose weight so fast, it's never going to work for me if I'm hungry every day.
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    And You're not a failure. This is your journey, you do it how you want and it will be fine! At least you are doing it. Slow changes are easier sometimes than the big ones all at once.
  • ladytwilight72
    Options
    Thank you all I think your right. I have a lot to loose and I think my focus was on flooding the most I could and not really what would be effective and realistic
  • MonCheri
    MonCheri Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My goal is set for 2 pounds a week and I limit myself to 800 calories per day. It used to be that I could manage this with no problems, but lately I'm finding it very difficult. I want to lose 20 pounds but calories scare the crap out of me. I eat pretty healthy (lots of fresh veges, fruits, very limited dairy (mostly in the for of cheese). I love my coffee and dirty chai (chai tea with a shot of coffee 16 oz with almond milk = 187 calories)..I know..I should probably cut those out. I hired a personal trainer and I work out a lot..zumba, weights, etc. My scale isn't moving and I am feeling less and less comfortable in my skin. I hate the way my stomach looks. I have lost 90 pounds since 2010, had a few weight ups and downs but nothing terrible. Had several major tragedies in my life this past year and half with the death of my daughter and during that time I dropped down to 103 pounds. I want to be that size again. Do you think my metabolism has gone hay wire? I am up for any suggestions, ideas that you can offer.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    My goal changes. Sometimes I choose a slightly aggressive deficit, then back off. Maybe even hit maintenance for a week or a more moderate deficit.
  • miztessbert
    miztessbert Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Failure to me is quitting and completely giving up. Winning is changing your strategy so that you can achieve success in the end. Lowering your goal so that your weight loss plan is more doable sounds like a winner to me. Good luck achieving success!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    MonCheri wrote: »
    My goal is set for 2 pounds a week and I limit myself to 800 calories per day. It used to be that I could manage this with no problems, but lately I'm finding it very difficult. I want to lose 20 pounds but calories scare the crap out of me. I eat pretty healthy (lots of fresh veges, fruits, very limited dairy (mostly in the for of cheese). I love my coffee and dirty chai (chai tea with a shot of coffee 16 oz with almond milk = 187 calories)..I know..I should probably cut those out. I hired a personal trainer and I work out a lot..zumba, weights, etc. My scale isn't moving and I am feeling less and less comfortable in my skin. I hate the way my stomach looks. I have lost 90 pounds since 2010, had a few weight ups and downs but nothing terrible. Had several major tragedies in my life this past year and half with the death of my daughter and during that time I dropped down to 103 pounds. I want to be that size again. Do you think my metabolism has gone hay wire? I am up for any suggestions, ideas that you can offer.

First, I'm very sorry about your daughter and other issues you've been dealing with.

However, with only 20 lbs to lose there's no way you should be eating only 800 cals/day.

Have you tried setting MFP to lose 0.5 lb/week, logging everything you eat (ideally weighing solid foods with a scale), and eating back a portion of those exercise calories?

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to work in a chai tea into a moderate calorie deficit and still reach your goals.

Good luck.
  • ladytwilight72
    Options
    MonCheri wrote: »

I'm so sorry for your loss. My guess is your calories are way too low and perhaps your body is holding on to the weight because of that
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Don't let the word failure be in your vocabulary! you did the right thing, a less agressive deficit is easier to stick to and will still get the results you're after.

Sorry about the loss of your daugther!
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Failure to me is quitting and completely giving up. Winning is changing your strategy so that you can achieve success in the end. Lowering your goal so that your weight loss plan is more doable sounds like a winner to me. Good luck achieving success!

+1000
    This is an excellent way of looking at changes in plans.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I'm set at 2 lb per week with 36 lbs to go until final goal. I'm 7 lbs away from 7% of my body weight. I have 5.5 weeks to do that in. I have myself on a short leash and it makes be feel so in control! I got off the treadmill dancing this morning!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    If I ate so little that I lost 2lbs per week with only 20lbs to lose, my husband would probably divorce me because I'd be a huge b*tch. I have custom goals, but I'm happy with 0.5lb/week. What's the rush?
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    My goal has changed over the years. 2lb a week was easy enough when I was 100lb overweight. Now that I'm only 20-25lb overweight I'm struggling trying to lose .5-1lb per week. It's okay to change your goal. If it's not sustainable or realistic for you, then do something that is. Otherwise, you won't stick with it in the long run.