Negative Calories at Night

Options
BJerzy
BJerzy Posts: 1,844 Member
Recently I've been completing my diary each day under my calorie goal, but when I wake up and check from the previous day it says I'm over calories. MFP is attached to my FitBit, but I thought once I got the calories from walking/running that they would stay. Yesterday I was under by about 80 calories but when I woke up it said I was over by 35. I went to bed at 10pm, so is it saying that those two hours of laying there made me lose 115 calories!?

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    You burn calories doing nothing, in a coma. I don't know if you burned 115 calories in 2 hours from doing nothing, but you did burn some.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Each time you sync your Fitbit, MFP reads the calories burned and estimates your total burn for the day if you stay just as active. Move more, get a higher adjustment. Move less between syncs and you'll lose calories. You can look at the adjustment on the exercise page to see what it's basing it on. When I have my Fitbit connected, I try to leave a hundred calories or so to account for the lower adjustment once I go to bed.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options

You burn calories 24/7. To roughly estimate, multiply body weight in pounds by 11. So yes, you probably burned that many calories just lying in bed.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    BJerzy, are you saying that FitBit is ADDING consumed calories? For example, is it that you go to bed with a surplus or calories you could eat if you wanted to -- of say 200, and when you wake up, it says that you consumed 250 calories so you are now over your limit by 50 calories for the previous day?
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Each time you sync your Fitbit, MFP reads the calories burned and estimates your total burn for the day if you stay just as active. Move more, get a higher adjustment. Move less between syncs and you'll lose calories. You can look at the adjustment on the exercise page to see what it's basing it on. When I have my Fitbit connected, I try to leave a hundred calories or so to account for the lower adjustment once I go to bed.

This. I switched my Fitbit calorie projection to sedentary instead of personalized, and that seems to have helped a bit. But then it shows me way over all day until I walk more. Either way, I think you have to get a feel for what you'll probably burn and go from there.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Your actual burn is usually half what any device would like you to believe. :)
  • BJerzy
    Options
    BJerzy, are you saying that FitBit is ADDING consumed calories? For example, is it that you go to bed with a surplus or calories you could eat if you wanted to -- of say 200, and when you wake up, it says that you consumed 250 calories so you are now over your limit by 50 calories for the previous day?

It adds my exercise calories as I sync throughout the day. So when I synced right before bed it said I got let's say 450 calories from exercise. Then the next morning I checked it again and it said I only had 335 cals from exercise.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It assumes you will remain as active as you have been continually so it gives you the calories based on that. Once you go to bed it says - whoopsie - she's stopped moving so it starts taking back those calories it previously assumed you would continue to earn. You either need to keep moving until midnight or factor in that those calories will be taken away once you go to bed.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Oh, I totally misread your OP. I thought you were wondering why it said you burned 115 calories in two hours, not that it took them away from you. Sorry, you must have read my post and went "WTF is she smoking?" LOL I have to stop commenting before I have at least 2 cups of coffee. I don't use a fitbit, therefore I have no business here anyway. ;)
  • BJerzy
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Oh, I totally misread your OP. I thought you were wondering why it said you burned 115 calories in two hours, not that it took them away from you. Sorry, you must have read my post and went "WTF is she smoking?" LOL I have to stop commenting before I have at least 2 cups of coffee. I don't use a fitbit, therefore I have no business here anyway. ;)

It's okay I figured out what you thought it meant :)