Maintain and cutting back

I am at the desired weight, and need to start cutting back a little on my workouts, but mentally that has been hard for me even though I am tired I still want to keep pushing it

Replies

• melsouth1972
    melsouth1972 Posts: 198 Member
    I'm at maintenance- I know how you feel - I'm not well at the moment so off sick from work and already stressing that I've only got one run in so far this week!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Or just eat more?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Think quality of training not just quantity!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    It's tough mentally...but I feel so much better for doing it and the performance improvements and quality of life are so much better. You might find that even though you slow down and eat more, you still drop weight. However, you can do it without feeling so tired.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    While I was still in weight loss mode, I was going to the gym 6 days a week and even on my "off" day, I got exercise in. Once I hit my goal (actual went beyond it by a few pounds), I gave myself permission to have two full days off from exercise, both of them the day after a weight training session with my trainer. It took probably 6 months of this before I "trusted" myself/my body that I could still maintain without those extra gym days. I just had to get my mind around the fact that I could give myself a break and still be ok. After all, it took me a year to lose the weight ... it won't take one day to gain it back! Gotta re-train the mindset ...
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    edited March 2016
    Why do you need to stop working out so much? If you enjoy it, keep it up and just eat more calories to sustain it! I'm very physically active and even though I don't need to lose anymore weight I keep working out because I enjoy it and it makes me happy!
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    c_mr_chaps wrote: »
    I am at the desired weight, and need to start cutting back a little on my workouts, but mentally that has been hard for me even though I am tired I still want to keep pushing it

Eat more.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited March 2016
    I think it's hard to stop because there's always someone 'more fit' or 'thinner' or with lower body fat and you feel like you're giving up. But it's just not true unless that's the goal you want to have for your life.

My goal is to maintain a healthy weight the rest of my life. Sounds like you're tired of your current routine. It's a change of seasons. Try finding a new workout regime that's a bit more interesting to you. And, as others have said, eat a little more.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    c_mr_chaps wrote: »

Why do you need to cut back? Just eat more to maintain. When I went to maintenance, I started doing more...like actual training and whatnot because extra calories means kicking some major *kitten* fitness wise.