Is it possible to burn 900 calories in an hour?

Options
muaylex
muaylex Posts: 32 Member
I have a nordictrack A2550 at home and that's what I have been working out on. The calorie meter from the treadmill said I burned 910 calories within 65 minutes of 4.0 incline and 5.5 MPH. But when I look online, it said I burned between 500-700 calories based on my height, age, and weight. What should I rely on? I'm an 31 year old Asian lady at 5'4" and 121.6 lbs at the moment.

Replies

• sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    At your height and weight I think that it would be extraodinarily difficult to burn 900 calories in an hour. I am 70 lbs heavier than you and I can burn 700 calories in an hour doing intense cardio according to my HRM.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Agreed with above poster. At that speed, and your weight, I would find it hard to believe.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have a nordictrack A2550 at home and that's what I have been working out on. The calorie meter from the treadmill said I burned 910 calories within 65 minutes of 4.0 incline and 5.5 MPH. But when I look online, it said I burned between 500-700 calories based on my height, age, and weight. What should I rely on? I'm an 31 year old Asian lady at 5'4" and 121.6 lbs at the moment.

To sanity check your caloric expenditure when running visit http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator

A rough calculation is around 500 but it would be higher with the 4.0 incline - I'm not sure how to factor that in; best suggestion would be to get a heart rate monitor.

This is one of the reasons I'm switching to using TDEE (@ moderately active) less a deficit rather than MFP's net calorie model. I'll still be logging my food and exercise, just not adding any exercise calories back into the equation.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    if it were me i'd go with the lowest estimate
  • EnderNC
    EnderNC Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    One of the highest calorie burners I've seen is when you use a kettlebell. Some sites estimate that at about 1000 per hour.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i did.

but i'm almost a foot taller then you, and almost twice your weight... and pushing it hard on some hills on my bike.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Buy a heart rate monitor so you can get an accurate count.
  • allylovesyou92
    Options
    Hello. i am 13 and really REALLY over weight! i am 5'8 and 198 pounds. It is really rough for me to live in this worl with a bunch of skinny little RUNTS! i really get down alot and would like a few tips. ANYTHING would be greatly appreciated! thanks :)
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    At your height and weight I think that it would be extraodinarily difficult to burn 900 calories in an hour. I am 70 lbs heavier than you and I can burn 700 calories in an hour doing intense cardio according to my HRM.

This. Get a good HRM.
  • nash3126
    nash3126 Posts: 1
    Options
    Are you able to enter your demographics in your treadmill? If not, I'd go by what the internet says.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hello. i am 13 and really REALLY over weight! i am 5'8 and 198 pounds. It is really rough for me to live in this worl with a bunch of skinny little RUNTS! i really get down alot and would like a few tips. ANYTHING would be greatly appreciated! thanks :)

Stop trolling. If you are for real you need to get help from an adult you know and trust.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Very very unlikely. I'm 5ft2 and 138lbs and at 180bpm and pushing hard on a bike up a hill I can burn 600 cals per hour.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I would be extremely skeptical of this sort of claim, and could only accept a 700+ calorie/hour burn if the person was monitored by accurate equipment -- not a HRM.
  • allylovesyou92
    Options

Stop trolling. If you are for real you need to get help from an adult you know and trust.
    i am for real! i hate it! and i have tried everything i jyst keep getting so deppresed and gaining it all back! no incouragment
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    use a HRM and take a spin class. Let us know how u do!
  • JessMahoney1
    JessMahoney1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

why does your account say your 22 then?
  • allylovesyou92
    Options

why does your account say your 22 then?
    IDK! how do you change it???
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    What does trolling mean?
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I would believe mfp. because of your height and weight.