New to lifting- need advice

Options
ZRx4
ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
Hi, a little about me. I do lots of hiit (T25, insanity, YouTube) along with lots of walk/ running (15-20k+ steps a day). Also, eating whole30. My body had been really stubborn on letting weight go, I'm about 15 lbs from goal and have decided I want to incorporate weights into my routine. Stronglifts specifically. I have access to a community gym, but it does not have a squat rack or deadlift bar. I have found I can do deadlifts with hand weights, there's 2 25lb in my gym, they can't have weight added tho, can I use these? And if so, is it going to be totally worthless to do, if I can't continually add weight? As far as squatting, can I just do weighted squats (holding the weight as I squat)? Also adding weight isn't possible. What are thoughts on kettle bells? Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with how to use the machines, but can a Lat pull down be used to do squats or deadlifts? Thanks for any info. I did a beginners workout last night and hardly phased me, going slow for proper form tho.

Replies

• ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bump, anybody?
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    Sorry I don't have anything helpful to add. This is a slow time, hang in there and someone should be able to help you with advice...

Bump! :)
  • wisenbsd
    wisenbsd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    There's tons you can do to modify what you need. Use the kettlebells for squats, deadlifts only need a barbell (if a barbell isn't available then use dumbbells). Use a flat bench as a step up, with or without weights. Watch youtube videos for form advice with these components.
  • Bchlvr64
    Bchlvr64 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to know this too.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    If you can, try to find somewhere with a squat rack or power rack. If you can't increase the weight then I don't believe stronglifts will work considering you work 5 sets of 5 and if you successfully complete the reps you would add 5 lbs (10lbs for deadlifts) so you would easily outgrow the weight at your gym. Another option is picking a different weight lifting program, google some kettle bell programs and/or lift in the 8-12 rep range where you will increase weights less rapidly.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you can do the squat and deadlift movements with dumbbells but you will only progress so far without being able to add weight and use a proper bar, and you will be missing out on a lot of the bar form of these exercises. You can certainly do goblet squats and you can do deadlifts wtih kettlebells .

The lat pull down has nothing to do with squats or deadlifts, but its a great exercise, i do them all the time on shoulder day.

nothing you will do will be worthless, but you wont be able to progress in weight which sorta makes doing the stronglifts program pointless without the right equipment. You should really consider changing gyms so you have access to the equip you need for the program you want.
  • fatbitchmadge
    fatbitchmadge Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started deadlifting with a trainer last year and we deadlifted with a kettle bell for six months before using the bar, so if you have access to a kettle bell it should be fine at least for a while. I should say I'm working with a catastrophic injury so maybe I'm not typical. But generally, it was important to get perfect form before moving up in weight. Good luck!!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have body bars? To begin with you could use these to get your form for squats they only generally go up to about 35/6 lbs but I prefer them over kettle or hand weight squats.
    Also look into AllPro. It is a rep progression before weigh so you may get more mileage out of the weights available.

Cheers, h.