High-protein options for people who don't like meat?

Options
2»

Replies

• Snowelf503
    Snowelf503 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As a bariatric patient, I have to get in a huge amount of protein daily. I recommend Fairlife non fat milk mixed with almost anything from the Syntrax protein powder line. 37 grams of protein in 8 ounces and it tastes good! Right now my favorite is the Mint Cookie powder, tastes like Girl Scout Thin Mints!
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Thank you @AnnPT77 ! Awesome info to have. I can have peanuts/peanut butter, just not tree nuts (specifically almonds). I had a reaction to almonds so my doctor told me to cut out all of them, which sucks because I LOVE cashews. It's also hard because 99.9% of healthy recipes I find involve almond flour, which I can't have.

just substitute normal flour in those recipes.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »
    Thank you @AnnPT77 ! Awesome info to have. I can have peanuts/peanut butter, just not tree nuts (specifically almonds). I had a reaction to almonds so my doctor told me to cut out all of them, which sucks because I LOVE cashews. It's also hard because 99.9% of healthy recipes I find involve almond flour, which I can't have.

just substitute normal flour in those recipes.

Good point! Or since you said you can eat peanuts (OP), there is also peanut flour, in addition to the bean flours, and other alternate grain flours, that you can experiment with. One or the other may be a better fit for your nutritional goals, or give you a flavor you favor. I don't know about you, but I have one friend with a serious tree nut allergy who can eat coconut. Coconut flour is also a thing.

Many of these alternate flours are available in health food, grain, or baking sections of large grocery stores, at health food stores, or online. Asian groceries (particularly those that carry Indian food) may have chickpea flour.