Weight Vest?

Options
How beneficial is it to run/walk with a weighted vest if you are already heavy (230lbs, my vest is 40lbs)?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You will burn a few more calories. You can get an idea by logging a walk at your current weight. Then go in and change it, add the 40 lbs, and log the same walk. It won't be a big difference.

I would not recommend it. I would suggest doing intervals of walking faster, adding incline, whatever over adding weight. It isn't good for your joints. You would probably burn more that way too.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Weight vests are more made for sport specific training anyway, IMHO

Sprinters, football, soccer, basketball, etc... players wear them a lot. I don't personally, but know of those who do because they want to mimic their protective equipment while running sprints, plyos, etc...
  • WadoodChaudhary
    Options
    WeightedVest are great for walking as well but their main benefit does not come from extra calories during the walk session but they help build muscle, which burn extra calories when you are not resting. Anybody who has used them for couple of months under any condition will testify that they make your upper body stronger. Even while walking at a leisurely pace (< 3 mph) for about an hour you feel you have done some serious exercising.
    That is their main benefit otherwise in the initial months you may be shedding off less calories because you might be walking slower.

I was also distracted by many people but after using them, I've suddenly started to lose weight for the first time in 2 years. My exercise and walk regime has not changed and the only thing that has changed is the addition of a 20 lbs vest.
  • WadoodChaudhary
    Options
    Weighted Vests are great for walking as well but their main benefit does not come from extra calories during the walk session but they help build muscle, which burn extra calories when you are resting. Anybody who has used them for couple of months under any condition will testify that they make your upper body stronger. Even while walking at a leisurely pace (< 3 mph) for about an hour you feel you have done some serious exercising.

I was also distracted by many people but after using them, I've suddenly started to lose weight for the first time in 2 years. My exercise and walk regime has not changed and the only thing that has changed is the addition of a 20 lbs vest.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My knees hurt thinking about it.
  • terlyn20
    terlyn20 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    roughly 10 years ago i bought the vmax 50 lbs weighted vest and enjoyed it for years, when i hit my mid 40s the vest started to hurt my breast, so i purchased the 30 lb womens vest and have used it for the last 2 years. i love it! i wear it walking normally just 10 to 15 lbs. for long walks or hill climbs. i will put 20 in for squats - house cleaning etc. i do not have any ankle, knee or back problems at all. i take my daily lunch break and go to the park and walk the park which includes several long stair climbs as well as short stair climbs. it is a great workout and i lose weight consistainly with no stalls.

if you wear a vest too heavy naturally you can expect joint problems, but if you keep the weight reasonable and vary the weight- even going without the vest on some walks you should be fine. I am!