Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Noticing weight loss?

Hey everyone, so far I've lost about 86lbs. Down from 344lb to 258lb right now, I'm 6'3" 18M.

My goal weight right now is 230lb, whether I change it once I get there or not is another thing.

I've taken progress pictures about every 25 pounds, so 340lb - 315lb - 290lb - 265lb.

I can definitely see a difference in the pictures and by the fact I'm wearing smaller sizing clothes, down from 42x30 to 36x30 and 3xl to 2xl.

But the change isn't quite as dramatic as I thought 90lbs would be.

I'm hoping to hit 230lb by June, that's a tad optimistic but a good goal I think to strive for.

I don't exercise much so I'm sure I've lost a far amount of muscle through my weight loss but I do have a pretty large frame if that makes sense and I try n walk about 7-9k steps a day as some form of cardio.

I'm just wondering if I can expect to see a big difference between now (258lb) and (230lb), varying from just basic overall appearance to smaller clothing sizes?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited March 2016
    Well done on your loss so far.
    If you aren't exercising, you will more than likely see just a smaller version of the bigger you. You are correct, you have lost muscle as you were losing weight, try doing some kind of resistance work to improve your physique.
    Heavy lifting at the gym, hand weights or body weigh at home.
    There are plenty of programmes on line that you can follow.

Here is a simple body weight routine that will give you a good start at home. If you need to modify the moves to begin with, do so.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Here is a hand weight routine. If you have to make notes and do it slower, that is ok. Work up to doing it along with the video, increase the weights as they get easier.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY

Cheers, h.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Congrats on 86 lbs list! The difference seen in the next 60 depends a lot on how your weight is distributed. If you really want to see "dramatic" changes in your appearance, I suggest strength training. It's worked amazingly for me, a 60 yo female, 135 lost so far. As a young male, you'll get even better results!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    We tend to judge ourself a bit more harshly than others do. Even though you're comparing pictures, you may have a tendency to do this. You also are carrying in your mind that even though you've come a long way (and congratulations on that BTW-- that's a fantastic loss and shows real dedication and hard work) you have a ways to go. Sometimes it's hard to see around that.

I'd definitely say to add weight training. It makes an amazing difference in appearance even when there's no difference in weight. You will notice more changes when you follow a good solid program.

Keep up the good work though. You're doing great :)