• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Myself. Internal motivation ftw!

ocgdvxogr4s1.gif
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    My health and not inheriting the health problems my parents have dealt with the past twenty years (diabetes, high blood pressure)
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Gonna cut to the chase and just cop to it: Vanity.
  • patty_36_2
    patty_36_2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My initial motivation was seeing a foto of me at a christening, and with a wedding a year after, decided to do something about it.. 100 lb lost for the wedding, so pleased but still have a few pounds to go... After the wedding I haven't lost anything... So I decided I need another motivation...
  • cathed42
    cathed42 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Osteoarthritis and rising blood pressure
  • gl6h2
    gl6h2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    patty_36_2 wrote: »
    My initial motivation was seeing a foto of me at a christening, and with a wedding a year after, decided to do something about it.. 100 lb lost for the wedding, so pleased but still have a few pounds to go... After the wedding I haven't lost anything... So I decided I need another motivation...

100 lbs!! Wow that's awesome!

Best of luck.

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I was once and for all fed up with hating the way I looked.
  • TGraceS
    TGraceS Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Gonna cut to the chase and just cop to it: Vanity.
    Yuuuuuppppp

Specifically, I felt awful about myself last summer. It was a weird sudden change in my self esteem and I'm usually so confident. It lasted through the winter. I just turned 25, and I want to feel confident in shorts and a bikini again! Also, I weighed as much as my boyfriend, who is 10 inches taller than me. Not okay with me. Now I'm 5lbs less than him and losing :)
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    My face was so fat! Also, I am trying to stay out of stage 4 kidney disease.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    My immune system decided my heart was a threat and attacked it. I decided to give my heart a fighting chance so it didn't have to battle my immune system and my weight simultaneously.

85 lbs down and its made a big difference.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I was more motivated to just get back to being healthy after turning in some really bad blood work a few years ago. My dad died at the age of 62 and he had a lot of the same kind of stuff going on when he was my age and never did anything about it...I'm not doing that to my kids. Dropping weight was a nice bi-product of getting my *kitten* together but wasn't ever really the priority. 3.5 years later I have everything pretty well taken care of so there's definitely an element of vanity involved at this point...but still, I do what I do primarily to remain in good health in order that I may watch my boys become men.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    patty_36_2 wrote: »

Amazing!
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    A host of health problems.... none will get fixed by weight alone but I'm sure not dragging around an extra few stone will help. Also, whilst I don't see myself seeking a new partner any time soon - my split with my ex has made me look long and hard at how I feel about myself...which wasn't good.

Health and future happiness...by the way my face is weird I always look slim in the face so my profile pic is me...but neck down I'm a barrel :D
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My skinnier self, I have a picture on my refrigerator!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I wanted to change for my son, but I'd be lieing if I didn't say vanity wasn't a large part of it.

I wanted to change for my son, because the state I was in after he was born meant that activities like hiking, bike rides, and other stuff I enjoyed doing as a kid with my mom would be out of the question. I was struggling to walk from the hospital entrance to the NICU just to see him.
    He's 4 now and has a younger brother who is 20 months old. We had a lightsaber battle this morning and it's something that I wouldn't have been able to fully get into at my heaviest.

And yep there was vanity in it as well. I grew up thin and only really started gaining weight when I moved in with the man who is now my husband. As I gained weight I slowly became anti-social and I was extremely unhappy with my appearance. I just wanted to sleep my days away. I was happy with other aspects of my life, but the weight was something that really bothered me.
    I still have some vanity goals, but I am much happier with my appearance now. I love going clothes shopping again.
  • stm712015
    stm712015 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    When I'm overweight I go into a little bubble and stop doing the things I love because I'm either embarrassed or too tired. When I'm feeling good I meet up with friends, hike, have fun with fashion, etc. I'm a photographer which is surprisingly physical and when I was obese it was hard to do a photo shoot without getting out of breath. Plus I think people judge obese people when hiring, so a healthy weight helps.

After I lost 30 lbs I found out I have leukemia. I'm in remission now, have lost a total of 50 lbs and am even more motivated to lose the last 30 lbs. My body has fought hard, and needs to still fight through 3 more months of chemo. It deserves for me to take care of it.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    No one likes fat people.
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Vanity does play a role in it, but I would like to have a child. I would also like to do things without being in pain like take a soaking bath, travel, and just live life outside of my home without discomfort.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I like feeling in shape and I like the way I look at a lower weight so yeah vanity for sure.

To be completely honest, I feel a bit of pressure to look a certain way. My husband is in the navy and most of his buddies have wives who are young and hot to put it bluntly. I'm old compared to them at 38 - lol. I certainly don't want to look old and fat next to them at work functions. I know that sounds horrible, but I'm not letting myself go just because I'm married or have kids or getting older. To me the health benefits are just a perk of staying in shape.

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I started as a game to myself to see how much I could lose at 5lb increments. Now my motivation to maintain is every time I walk by the mirror, every time someone compliments me on how good I look, how much my health has improved, I can run miles at a time now, the fact that I am going on vacation to see the in-laws who have never seen a normal weight me in person and I want to show off. That all makes it easy to say no to all the food I don't need.