• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    This is a case for a dietitian.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    My issues with sugar are actually physical pain. If I eat too much I wake up feeling bruised and sore all over. So I have to make a conscious decision. If I go over a certain amount I WILL feel horrible. I have tricks for treats that I use to keep the sugar down and the volume high.

Wow! Sugar really is awful for people. I don't feel that great all the time, but I never really thought that this could be because of sugar. What do you eat when the cravings are high?

@arditarose since I left sugar and all forms of grains at the same time at the age of 63 I am not sure if it was cutting out both or it was one or the other but my pain was managed within 30 days. Leg swelling, IBS, blood work and pressure, etc all resolved. After being off them for 1.5 years I never plan to either either again but I do not freak out about eating food that has touched grains or sugar.

@thatlostgirloverthere in my case two weeks after totally ditching sugars and grains my physical craving started to fade fast. That was key to losing 50 pounds and keeping it off for the past year eating 2500-3000 calories daily.

Sugar is really of awful for me but not all people.

Gale do you eat fruit at all? I was wondering if you react differently to fruit sugars than from candy sugars.

@Christine_72 in my case it is the carbs from any sugar source that I try to avoid so I can stay in a state of nutritional ketosis to trigger Chaperone Mediated Autophagy to remove junk protein from my cells to reduce my risk of premature death since my stated goal is to live to be 110 years old and walking and talking the entire way. Preventing Alzheimer's and other age related health issues is my main goal for triggering CMA by a healthy diet.

Below are some links some may be interested in reviewing or using as a diving board to go even deeper. They for the most part are research projects so technical in nature but not all.

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0014579309010710

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0014579309010710

jbc.org/content/280/27/25864.full

grassfedroots.com/ketogenic-diet-answer-effortless-weight-loss-health-longevity/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1282589/ A ketogenic diet reduces amyloid beta 40 and 42 in a mouse model of Alzheimer's disease

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2006/02/27/ketosis-cleans-our-cells/ This is a relative Low Tech read.

The "Issue With Sugar" is it seems to interfere with our natural defenses against premature death perhaps.

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    Lisamjs1 wrote: »
    I'm a sugar addict. I'm going to try and cut it out after easter

@Lisamjs1 are you really stronger than chocolate. If so you may be able to do it but the odds are low in most of us.
  • imogene912
    imogene912 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Cutting out sugar helps my mood to stabilize. I feel happier, lighter, more energetic, clear headed, etc....
    Sugar is bad for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I have a hugeeee problem with sugar, and quite frankly, I eat wayyy too much of it. I've tried to stop, but I always fail miserably. I try to eat less sugar, and I've tried to just cut it out cold turkey, but that only makes me want it more. I eat baked goods, candy, cereals, yogurts, and other foods with sugar in it (like General Tso's chicken), etc.

I know cutting down on refined carbs helps, but I'm trying to keep a moderate to high carb diet because a low carb diet won't work well with my antidepressant.

I would love to hear from people who have issues with sugar addiction/ or people who have issues with sugar in general. More specifically, I'd love to hear how you all got over it, or how you keep it at bay.

Thanks so much!
    It takes time to change a behavior. And trying to do a 180 WON'T usually work. You start by eating a little less of it till you get used to it. Then eat a little less a couple of weeks later. And so on and so on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    hdrj22078 wrote: »
    You could also have yeast in your body which can also make you crave sugar. The symptoms aren't always the itchy ones in the nether regions. Yeast can also cause lots of other problems. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

@hdrj22078 I think yeast overgrowth was a major issue gut wise in my case. That is one reason I got heavy into coconut oil usage and still use it daily.

Do you just cook with the coconut oil? I've tried taking a tablespoon several times but I just couldn't do it.

Since I eat out a couple times a day I do not cook with coconut oil. I can eat it straight if I am in a rush but I do not crave eating that way. :)

Mainly I have 3 tablespoons in coffee or green tea 2X daily with heavy whipping cream.

I got into coconut oil trying to manage my joint and muscle pain due to its anti bacterial, protozoa and virus properties as I was trying to tape off of sugar and grains. My time was running out and I was not successful at tapering off sugars and all grains so I left sugar and all forms of grains cold turkey Oct 2014 and had good pain manage by diet only 30 days later.

What was the role if any of coconut oil I do not know. Within 6 months my 480 months of serious IBS resolved and has not returned 12 months later and I do expect the coconut oil played a positive roll.

Since I get 80% of my calories from fats getting 700 of my total daily 2500-3000 calories from coconut oil fits my macro and as you know on here if it fits your macro it is the right way to eat. Since I am down 50 pounds and it has stayed off for a year now eating high calorie but <50 grams of carbs daily my macro is proven especially since my health and lab work is much improved over the past 18 months.

@hdrj22078 my use of coconut oil is not typical nor do I advice others on how/what to eat because that would make me a fool for giving advice as well as anyone who looks to social media for dieting advice. :)

100% of the time that I read social media stuff on any way of eating I use Google and find medical research on the matter that supports and/or refutes info in posts then I make my medical decision on where to test or not test something of interest to me.

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I also have problems w refined sugars. When I eat them, I crave more. I try to stay away from refined sugars and corn syrup. Many people will disagree but when I eat something w corn syrup, I just want more. I try not to eat it. It makes my blood sugar spike and leaves me feeling extremely tired and sluggish.
    I agree w one of the posts above, the more protein I eat, the less I crave sugar.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have a hugeeee problem with sugar, and quite frankly, I eat wayyy too much of it. I've tried to stop, but I always fail miserably. I try to eat less sugar, and I've tried to just cut it out cold turkey, but that only makes me want it more. I eat baked goods, candy, cereals, yogurts, and other foods with sugar in it (like General Tso's chicken), etc.

I know cutting down on refined carbs helps, but I'm trying to keep a moderate to high carb diet because a low carb diet won't work well with my antidepressant.

I would love to hear from people who have issues with sugar addiction/ or people who have issues with sugar in general. More specifically, I'd love to hear how you all got over it, or how you keep it at bay.

Thanks so much!

My vegan friends have high carbs diets, but they are getting their carbs from foods like legumes, rice, fruits and vegetables, and do not have sugar cravings.

When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me.
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Great advice from the post above, thanks!

@kshama2001
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    For magnesium alternatve could be pepetas, spinach etc. Has fibre also which most supplements don't plus other nutrients that aren't contained in a purely magnesium supplement. IMO
  • hdrj22078
    hdrj22078 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You could also have yeast in your body which can also make you crave sugar. The symptoms aren't always the itchy ones in the nether regions. Yeast can also cause lots of other problems. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

@hdrj22078 I think yeast overgrowth was a major issue gut wise in my case. That is one reason I got heavy into coconut oil usage and still use it daily.

Do you just cook with the coconut oil? I've tried taking a tablespoon several times but I just couldn't do it.

Since I eat out a couple times a day I do not cook with coconut oil. I can eat it straight if I am in a rush but I do not crave eating that way. :)

Mainly I have 3 tablespoons in coffee or green tea 2X daily with heavy whipping cream.

I got into coconut oil trying to manage my joint and muscle pain due to its anti bacterial, protozoa and virus properties as I was trying to tape off of sugar and grains. My time was running out and I was not successful at tapering off sugars and all grains so I left sugar and all forms of grains cold turkey Oct 2014 and had good pain manage by diet only 30 days later.

What was the role if any of coconut oil I do not know. Within 6 months my 480 months of serious IBS resolved and has not returned 12 months later and I do expect the coconut oil played a positive roll.

Since I get 80% of my calories from fats getting 700 of my total daily 2500-3000 calories from coconut oil fits my macro and as you know on here if it fits your macro it is the right way to eat. Since I am down 50 pounds and it has stayed off for a year now eating high calorie but <50 grams of carbs daily my macro is proven especially since my health and lab work is much improved over the past 18 months.

@hdrj22078 my use of coconut oil is not typical nor do I advice others on how/what to eat because that would make me a fool for giving advice as well as anyone who looks to social media for dieting advice. :)

100% of the time that I read social media stuff on any way of eating I use Google and find medical research on the matter that supports and/or refutes info in posts then I make my medical decision on where to test or not test something of interest to me.

I have tried it but couldn't just take it alone. My dad however didn't have a problem taking it. I'm also watching my sugar and have IBS just trying to find other ways to consume. Thank you very much for your response I never even thought about putting in in a drink.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options

Thanks so much!

I managed to curve my sugar craving by swapping for low calorie alternatives. Be sure to understand what sweetener is and how it is made. There are many people on this board who demonise it due to incredibly poor research.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I have tried it but couldn't just take it alone. My dad however didn't have a problem taking it. I'm also watching my sugar and have IBS just trying to find other ways to consume. Thank you very much for your response I never even thought about putting in in a drink.

Last fall my go-to snack was coffee, coconut oil, and protein powder. I use a lot less of it than Gale does - only a teaspoon or two - but my goals are different than his.

My Walmart carries unflavored cooking coconut oil for use in recipes for which you don't want to change the flavor. Lots of fat bomb recipes call for coconut oil. This one is good: http://screwedonstraight.net/keto-diet-peanut-butter-cup-fat-bombs/ I skipped the Splenda because that type of artificial sweetener has a nasty chemically aftertaste to me and used a tiny bit of Xyla.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I developed type 2 diabetes so I simply had to give most of it up. I concentrated on putting a plate together with all my macros and it turned out that vegetables were more efficient at reaching my goals.

Over time I missed it less.
  • hdrj22078
    hdrj22078 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Last fall my go-to snack was coffee, coconut oil, and protein powder. I use a lot less of it than Gale does - only a teaspoon or two - but my goals are different than his.

My Walmart carries unflavored cooking coconut oil for use in recipes for which you don't want to change the flavor. Lots of fat bomb recipes call for coconut oil. This one is good: http://screwedonstraight.net/keto-diet-peanut-butter-cup-fat-bombs/ I skipped the Splenda because that type of artificial sweetener has a nasty chemically aftertaste to me and used a tiny bit of Xyla.

Thanks I had no idea you could get it unflavored. I will have to try that. Thanks so much!