Macros

Options
Can someone please explain macros to me? My macros on MFP says I should have 45g of fat but only 40g of protein, and I'm super confused by that. Thanks!

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Fat: .4-.6 grams per lb of body weight
    Protein: .8-1 grams per lb of bodyweight

Fill the rest of calories with carbs(:
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Set macros 15c/20p/65f. :)
  • karimarie90
    karimarie90 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • steffy818
    steffy818 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fat: .4-.6 grams per lb of body weight
    Protein: .8-1 grams per lb of bodyweight

Fill the rest of calories with carbs(:

But by that logic you'd be having double the protein than fat per day and MFP told me 30% fat, 20% protein. I'm confused.

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    You can set your macros any way you want. You can set carbs to 40%, protein to 50% and fat to 10% if you want. (Just an example, not what I would suggest). Go in and change your setting so you get what you want. I wanted to eat around 135-145 carbs, so I played with it til I got the approximate percentage, then, since i weightlift, I set my protein at a certain percent (don't remember off hand.) then set my fat to make up the rest.
  • karimarie90
    karimarie90 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand macros in general, I guess. I feel like every article I read and person I ask loses me within 10 seconds. They make no sense to me and what they defaulted to on here seemed really screwed up. I found a macro calculator online and changed my macros to what that said I should have, and now I'm struggling to make my diet match up at all. I'm wondering if I even need to worry about them since I never even heard about them until about 6 months ago...
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Of course you need to worry about them. They are the main energy sources in your diet. Most people experiment with higher carbs, lower protein/fat, then if that isn't easy to stick with or satiating, they try lower carbs, higher fat/protein, etc, until they find what works for them. I can live with lower carbs - not super-low carbs, but around 145 a day give or take, and higher protein because I am trying to prevent getting diabetes that my mother has. Other people can't live without a ton of carbs. You have to find what works for you. And if they don't make any sense to you, then how can the defaults seem really screwed up to you?