Trying to gain weight

Options
farktroy
farktroy Posts: 1 Member
Hey guys,

My weight has been down and now I want to bulk up so I just upped my calorie intake by a lot and started a 3-4 day per week lifting program. But I'm having trouble eating the 3000 calories because it's just so much food. I've always been a healthy eater and have sworn off things like pizza and ice cream and hot dogs and what not, but those are all high-calorie options. Should I eat things like that to get to the 3000 calories? My other goal besides putting on weight is also to get a six-pack, I want to put on lean muscle mass and I'm afraid if I eat these foods that don't have much nutritious value, that the weight I put on will be fat. Ideas????

Replies

• kingkam21
    kingkam21 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Eating thoes foods will most definitely NOT give you a six pack but will surely help you gain some mass. If you want to stay on a lean bulk than eat low car, low sodium, high calorie, and high protein meals. Like turkey, ham, cheese, yogurt, oatmeal and what not. If your having trouble eating 3k cal a day than you just won't gain size. You can try mass gainers but I do not recommend. I used to eat 4600 Cal's a day when I was working construction. Make a schedule for times to eat and force that *kitten* in! There's been times where I stayed up at 2am forcing myself to take in my daily calorie intake. Do whatever it takes. 5%er
  • goldingtom12
    goldingtom12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    kingkam21 wrote: »
    Eating thoes foods will most definitely NOT give you a six pack but will surely help you gain some mass. If you want to stay on a lean bulk than eat low car, low sodium, high calorie, and high protein meals. Like turkey, ham, cheese, yogurt, oatmeal and what not. If your having trouble eating 3k cal a day than you just won't gain size. You can try mass gainers but I do not recommend. I used to eat 4600 Cal's a day when I was working construction. Make a schedule for times to eat and force that *kitten* in! There's been times where I stayed up at 2am forcing myself to take in my daily calorie intake. Do whatever it takes. 5%er

I true rich piano fan
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Bulking while getting a six-pack lol, good luck with that.
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Bulking while getting a six-pack lol, good luck with that.

Well stated!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter.

But as someone has already stated bulking AND getting a 6 pack isn't happening. Pick one.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    farktroy wrote: »
    Hey guys,

My weight has been down and now I want to bulk up so I just upped my calorie intake by a lot and started a 3-4 day per week lifting program. But I'm having trouble eating the 3000 calories because it's just so much food. I've always been a healthy eater and have sworn off things like pizza and ice cream and hot dogs and what not, but those are all high-calorie options. Should I eat things like that to get to the 3000 calories? My other goal besides putting on weight is also to get a six-pack, I want to put on lean muscle mass and I'm afraid if I eat these foods that don't have much nutritious value, that the weight I put on will be fat. Ideas????

pick a plan ...

1. bulk and gain mass and then cut down to six pack..
    2. keep cutting until you have said six pack..

you can't do both ...
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    What are your stats? Age, sex, height, current weight, training history, bodyfat %?

The short and sweet version: Bulk (eat TDEE+500calories) and lift to lots of build muscles with some fat. This will be +1lb per week. If you go over +500 calories, you get too much fat since you can only build so much muscle naturally.
    Once you bulk to a reasonable weight (don't get fat! 20%bodyfat at a guy, tops) with muscle, you go on a cut (eat TDEE-500 calories) while still lifting to preserve your hard-earned muscle mass. You will lose fat and some muscle (be sure to eat enough protein and keep lifting to minimize muscle loss). You cut until you see abs. You see your upper abs around the 15% mark, and nice and defined at the 10-12% mark. Profit!

See Mens' Bodyfat Chart Here!
  • FireMike05
    FireMike05 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ndj1979 has a good point, can't do both my friend! Gain some weight first, control your weight gains to .5-1 lb a week and then fine tune as you go, meaning if you are gaining to much fat to fast then taper back alittle bit until you hit a sweet spot... Remember everything you read telling you to start at 250 or 500 cal surplus are just giving a good starting point, it's up to you to stay on track and fine tune weekly to get the results you want... Some people like myself only have to up my cals 100 cals from maintenance to start getting some controlled gains and then I fine tune and up the cals as I go further and further into the bulk! After you hit desired strength and mass gains or gain more bf then you wanted to, start cutting down but just as controlled as the bulk so you maintain the muscle and don't lose all that hard work! All about patience! You'll figure out what works for you.