Nutritionists?

Options
Has anyone been to a nutritionist? what was your experience like?

Replies

• beatrix205
    beatrix205 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A good nutritionist can be an absolutely invaluable addition to your weight loss plan. I've found it very helpful to have someone knowledgable guiding me through a personalized plan that works for my lifestyle and goals. If your insurance covers it, definitely go through them to cover it since it won't be cheap otherwise. However, don't forget that a nutritionist is basically like a therapist. They all have different philosophies and styles. For it to work, it needs to be a chemistry fit for you. It may take meeting or talking to a couple of different ones until you find someone you're comfortable with. Also make sure you go with a registered dietitian (with the title RD or RDN). Many states do not regulate who has the right to refer to themselves as a "nutritionist," so it's important to find someone with the proper qualifications rather than hiring someone who has never been to school for nutrition science and has no idea what they're talking about.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Dietitians are better educated than nutritionists.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.
    There are people here, that in my opinion, should be highly paid nutritionists.
    They told me to eat more lean protein and up my fiber.

Eating disorders are very real.
    Please eat for your health.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.

No one said anything about an eating disorder. Once again you jumped to a conclusion because the person asked about a dietitian/nutritionist, not sure why.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Over here in the UK it's dieticians who are higher qualified. I agree though with what you say, it can take a while to get a 'fit'.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.

Curious...as when my friend was dying from an ED the first people in the wonderful medical team that got them into recovery was the dietician