Women health question

Options
Hello,

I was just wondering if any other women found that they gained weight in the week before their period starts?

I have recently started tracking my weight and found I put on four pounds in the week before my period and now it has started have dropped around seven pounds.

Has anyone encountered this before? Any tips for preventing such weight gain?

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Water retention just before starting your period is normal, and, afaik, unavoidable. Really just another reason not to get too wrapped up in the number on the scale. There are a few strategies that may help - first, weighing in daily and using an app that gives you your trend weight, so you can see that while you are "up" one day, you are still on a good downward trend (and daily weighing lets you see just how much you weight can fluctuate hopefully desensitizing you a bit so you don't freak out at these temporary increases), or if you prefer to only weigh yourself once a week, consider skipping the week before your period entirely. Personally I prefer to step in the scale daily, but it really does boil down to personal preference.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    yes, mine was more bloat that weight gain but my trainer knew before I did...he would measure me and say, "you must be starting you period soon". we would skip those measurements and go again the next week. it is only temporary
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    That weight gain is, as pp said, just water. It's caused by hormone fluctuations, so short of having your ovaries removed, there's nothing you can do to stop it. Just know that it's temporary and don't freak out when you see that gain on the scale.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    During TOM weight gain happens for the majority of us and it can be anything from 2 to 5lbs, perhaps more, but its just hormonal/water weight and will pass in a few days. My weight goes up around 2lbs during TOM and this lasts for approx 5-7 days. I find nothing makes any difference, some would say drink loads of water but the weight gain just takes its course, its nothing to be concerned about as its temporary.