Disappointed

Options
Beachlace
Beachlace Posts: 8 Member
At the end of the day, I multiplied my fat grams by 8, my carb and protein by 4 and the total was over 100 calories off. I started to use only the green checked items when I can. STILL the counts are off. I am eating a ketogenic diet and these macros are important to me. I suppose I could research and add in every one of my foods but I really dont have the time and wouldnt know how to find them again. arrrrgggghhh

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    One question, why do not let MFP do the count for you ?
    I do not understand why you are multiplying number of grams times calories per gram when you have the MFP app that does it for you.
    I do not follow a particular diet, I just eat my favorite food within my daily calorie goal.
    I have a brother that has Diabetes Type 2. He uses MFP to check his daily carbs, no need to multiply, Really.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    How many grams of fat did you have? The Atwater factor is usually 9 kcal/g for fat, not 8.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Beachlace wrote: »
    At the end of the day, I multiplied my fat grams by 8, my carb and protein by 4 and the total was over 100 calories off. I started to use only the green checked items when I can. STILL the counts are off. I am eating a ketogenic diet and these macros are important to me. I suppose I could research and add in every one of my foods but I really dont have the time and wouldnt know how to find them again. arrrrgggghhh

MFP uses the usual 9 calories per grams of fat, so your method isn't really effective to check for irregularities (if that's what you are doing); and the "verified" (green checks) means nothing, those entries are just as prone to derp as the rest, all foods still need to be checked individually. I had to enter all or most of my foods. You could mark your personal foods with your username or something to make them stand out or be searchable (but please don't add them to the public database if you do this).
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    There are times when the Macro amounts are rounded up or down. Many nutrition labels I have seen have part grams (eg. 6.3) of macros, those numbers are rounded since I have never seen that in a food here including the ones I entered that started that way. Added to that is the fact the manufactures round the amounts as well so the Macro numbers are going to be a ball-park figure rather than something exact. Then you have foods where people have added them and made errors. If you are looking to absolute precision, you will not get it as nutritional information is not absolutely precise.

Also, you used the wrong number of calories for fat is it 9 per gram.