Topomax

Options
13»

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    DON'T DO IT! Been there, done that, worst drug ever.

Just eat healthy and exercise...unless you want to feel like a dying space cadet every waking moment.

But she's bipolar, and it's a valid treatment option.

I had a friend take this for her bipolar disorder. She didn't lose weight on it, but she did develop a potassium issue and had to be hospital. Not sure if they're related. She also never could drink any carbonated beverage again and stopped smoking. So technically those helped her be healthier overall.

I didn't see anything where the OP said she was bipolar. She asked if it could be taken for weight loss.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Took it for my seizures in 2004, lost so much weight I had family and friends thinking I had become anorexic, literally could not eat more than a few bites before I had to push my plate away. The icing on the cake was when I became so weak I couldn't get out of bed, only for my mother to call the doctor in a panic and then to discover that I was on too high of a dosage, basically being overdosed. Seriously, unless you want to deal with all that, don't do it. Just don't.
  • chrissyb1985
    chrissyb1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I would not use it for weight loss. The side effects are awful. My hair fell out in hand fills and I had pins and needles feeling every where constantly. I also ended up in the ER because of some of the side effects.
  • Jkowals123
    Jkowals123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am bipolar and am on 50 mg of Topomax and it is working great as a mood stabilizer but have not lost weight yet just second week though. I am following 21 day fix meal plan and exercise!!
  • Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist put me on Phentermine-Topamax to try to help me lose weight. I was just starting my third week and I can't take the side effects of the Topamax anymore. The pins and needles were tolerable, I was expecting that. What I didn't expect was the muscle weakness and soreness. Imagine having all the energy Phentermine gives you, but you can't do anything at all because your muscles won't cooperate! I started weaning myself off and only took one last night. I got more done this morning than I have in two weeks.
    Oh, I lost five pounds the first two days. Nothing since, and I am staying around 1400-1600 calories a day. This sucks. I am hoping the Phentermine by itself helps, even if it just gives me the energy to move more.