is 1200 calories to low?

Options
morganpalmer9
morganpalmer9 Posts: 73 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm a 5'4 124 lb female and I pretty much eat 1,200 on the dot every day. I also run (HIIT) between 30-35 mins a day and do strength training for 30-40 mins a day as well. Should I be eating a lot more with this activity level? I want to lose a few lbs but don't want to do it in an unhealthy way.

Also-I do wear a heart rate monitor while working out to see how much I burn, but it's usually super super high, but I assume I burn at least 400 cals a workout.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Where did you get that goal from, MFP? If so, it's designed for you to eat back the calories burned through exercise.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is pretty darn low for someone doing HIT daily and training - i'd say too low. i am 5' 3 1/2", and at 1200 calories i was losing 2 to 3 pounds a week - and i'm not as active as you are. you might want to add some protein calories so you don't burn muscle.

are you logging your workouts into MFP along with your foods?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are fairly inaccurate for interval work, as they're really only meant for steady state cardio.

What do you have your goal set at? With a few pounds to lose, you should only be aiming to lose half a pound a week, which unless you're older, will give you more than 1200 calories a day.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'4 124 lb female and I pretty much eat 1,200 on the dot every day. I also run (HIIT) between 30-35 mins a day and do strength training for 30-40 mins a day as well. Should I be eating a lot more with this activity level? I want to lose a few lbs but DON'T want to do it in a healthy way.

Also-I do wear a heart rate monitor while working out to see how much I burn, but it's usually super super high, but I assume I burn at least 400 cals a workout.

Did anyone else see that..... is that a typo?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I'm a 5'4 124 lb female and I pretty much eat 1,200 on the dot every day. I also run (HIIT) between 30-35 mins a day and do strength training for 30-40 mins a day as well. Should I be eating a lot more with this activity level? I want to lose a few lbs but DON'T want to do it in a healthy way.

I figured it was a typo.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Not sure how to take it. Being fairly small already at 124# - eating 1200 and working out that intensely may be very hard on your body. However, since it is written that you "DON'T want to do it in a healthy way" - perhaps this is accurate for you. Did you perhaps mean you DO wish to do it in a healthy way? Then a few questions.... Your age? Your lifestyle (desk job?), any medical issues? 1200 calories a day may be okay for someone like me, old, desk job, hypothyroid, blah blah blah..... For a young, active, work out type of person... Nope.
  • morganpalmer9
    Options

hah yes, oops! I mean't unhealthy :0
  • morganpalmer9
    edited March 2016
    Options
    1200 calories is pretty darn low for someone doing HIT daily and training - i'd say too low. i am 5' 3 1/2", and at 1200 calories i was losing 2 to 3 pounds a week - and i'm not as active as you are. you might want to add some protein calories so you don't burn muscle.

Yes I am. But I really think my heart rate monitor over exaggerates what I burn so I still am unsure how many calories I should be eating. Surprisingly though, I'm not really losing any weight lately which makes me wonder..!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    1200 is too low for me. I'm 5'3" but significantly fatter than you. I'm ok at 1400-1500, but at 1200 I get unfriendly. I'd set myself to maintain or maybe just lose .5lb a week and eat at whatever mfp tells you plus half of the exercise calories. I'd stick with that for a month and see what happens.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,013 Member
    Options
    Try eating back half of the exercise calories. At your height 1200 would probably be ok if you were sedentary and didn't do any exercise, but if you are exercising then you need to eat more.
  • vegasleo79
    vegasleo79 Posts: 63 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    OP, you mean 1200 plus eating back some/most of the 400 calories burned? I think that's ok since you probably don't have much to lose, if any and it gets harder and harder the closer you are to your ideal weight. Or do you mean 1200 flat out without eating back exercise calories? Now that would be way too low.
  • morganpalmer9
    Options
    vegasleo79 wrote: »
    OP, you mean 1200 plus eating back some/most of the 400 calories burned? I think that's ok since you probably don't have much to lose, if any and it gets harder and harder the closer you are to your ideal weight. Or do you mean 1200 flat out without eating back exercise calories? Now that would be way too low.

Yes, right now I eat 1,200 calories and thats it. regardless of what I exercise or burn that day. And I don't know how much to eat back in because my calorie burn is always at like 700-800, which i know is not true lol. I just wasn't sure if I should be at say, 1400 just to be safe?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Yes I am. But I really think my heart rate monitor over exaggerates what I burn so I still am unsure how many calories I should be eating. Surprisingly though, I'm not really losing any weight lately which makes me wonder..!

How long is "lately"?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Yes, right now I eat 1,200 calories and thats it. regardless of what I exercise or burn that day. And I don't know how much to eat back in because my calorie burn is always at like 700-800, which i know is not true lol. I just wasn't sure if I should be at say, 1400 just to be safe?

Then you're too low. You may lose the couple lbs that you're after, but still may not like the results because you sacrificed more of the weight in LBM than fat and didn't change your BF% much....if at all.

You're dead center for a healthy BMI. To get the results you're looking for you should be invstigating a recomp, and a recomp won't be accomplished at the low level you're eating at.

How did you get 1200 for a calorie goal? I just ran a quick calculation and that's TDEE -50% and definitely not advised, especially for someone of your height/weight/activity level.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,013 Member
    Options

If your calorie burn is correct then you are netting about 450 calories a day (1200 - 750 + 450) which is not good. I agree that the calorie burn may be too high, so if you eat half then you would net 825 a day (1200 - 750 + 375 = 825) which is still really too low. It is hard to know how much to eat back when you are eating at the minimum because any calorie burn will put you netting under the limit. I would start with eating back half and maybe go up to 75%. I personally try to make sure I net over 1000 per day. I have my goal set to 1300 and if I don't eat back enough of my exercise calories then I don't net the minimum. I am now eating back about 80% and I think I just about have it right. I was losing faster than my goal so I started eating back more of my exercise calories.
  • morganpalmer9
    Options

How long is "lately"?

probably 3 to 4 months.
  • morganpalmer9
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Then you're too low. You may lose the couple lbs that you're after, but still may not like the results because you sacrificed more of the weight in LBM than fat and didn't change your BF% much....if at all.

You're dead center for a healthy BMI. To get the results you're looking for you should be invstigating a recomp.

How did you get 1200 for a calorie goal? I just ran a quick calculation and that's TDEE -50% and definitely not advised, especially for someone of your height/weight/activity level.

in MFP that's what it gives me. I put in I'd like to lose a lb a week and that I work 6 times a week for around an hour and it tells me 1,200 calories. What exactly do you mean by recomp?
  • vegasleo79
    Options
    I don't know about recomp, that's definitely an area for someone else, but yes, if you're trying to lose a bit of weight, I would eat back like half of that estimated burn. So maybe around 1500-1600 calories a day? 1200 + 300-400 in exercise calories = 1500-1600. That's at least what I would do, not sure if it is correct.
  • vegasleo79
    Options
    Juts for reference, I eat 1400 plus all of my exercise calories (about 200-500, depending on what I do. I wear a heart rate monitor so it's more exact, but still can be faulty). I'm 5'8, was 210, now 187, goal 165.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

You're dead center for a healthy BMI. To get the results you're looking for you should be invstigating a recomp.

in MFP that's what it gives me. I put in I'd like to lose a lb a week and that I work 6 times a week for around an hour and it tells me 1,200 calories. What exactly do you mean by recomp?

1 lb per week is too aggressive for you, and even though you entered in that you work out 6 times a week MFP still doesn't adjust for that.

Recomp = Lowering your BF% while you stay roughly the same weight.