Any doctors or nurses? I have a quick question...

Options
Hi and thanks in advance! I cut my hand this morning, in between my thumb and first finger. When I stretch out my hand, the wound opens. It bled for about an hour, but nothing serious as it really is a tiny cut. Now though, when I walk it starts to bleed again. This is now 6 hours of bleeding. On my last walk, it bled through the bandaid. Do you think I might need a stitch? It really is a tiny wound so I feel dumb, but the bleeding is annoying, not to mention an open wound on the hand is a recipe for disaster.

Replies

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You can buy butterfly sutures and elevate your hand if you really don't want to get it taken care of or try going to a minor emergency facility. You don't want it to turn into an infection that may lead to sepsis...How dumb would you feel then... Good luck with it. :)
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    By now it's probably too late to stitch anyways. Is there a reason you aren't able to clot? Taking NSAIDs or anticoagulants? Keep it clean and covered but if you're worried about it most family doctors do stitches at their office or urgent care.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Are you on any medications or have any health issues? You could be somewhat deficient in vitamin K.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    It's in an area that is used/moved a lot, which keeps opening the wound, right? That happened to my son once years ago - it was the joint of his finger. We finally took him in to a non-emergency walk in clinic that deals with injuries like this. It was about 8 hours after the incident and they still stitched it. If it worries you, go to a walk in clinic.

(Not a doctor/nurse)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Fit4LifeAR wrote: »
    I cut my hand this morning, in between my thumb and first finger. When I stretch out my hand, the wound opens.

Since that area moves a lot, either tape the 2 digits together for a day or 2 so you don't move them, or use superglue. Seriously. You can read more on supergluing wounds here:
    drweil.com/drw/u/QAA401557/Super-Glue-For-First-Aid.html

If you go that route, you MUST disinfect inside the cut well first (povidone iodine, 60+% isopropyl alcohol, etc).

If you're on meds that affect your clotting, look into carrying a hemostatic agent with you (WoundSeal, QuikClot, etc).

(Not a doctor/nurse)
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    By now it's probably too late to stitch anyways. Is there a reason you aren't able to clot? Taking NSAIDs or anticoagulants? Keep it clean and covered but if you're worried about it most family doctors do stitches at their office or urgent care.

I take Advil, probably 2-4 a day (I get shots too). I know it's a lot but my doc said it was ok. I have a degenerative issue in my left knee, and I've been approved for a knee replacement already (I'm 35) but we are trying to wait until we have one more baby. I think I need to start looking for a different pain killer.
  • hekla90
    Options

I take Advil, probably 2-4 a day (I get shots too). I know it's a lot but my doc said it was ok. I have a degenerative issue in my left knee, and I've been approved for a knee replacement already (I'm 35) but we are trying to wait until we have one more baby. I think I need to start looking for a different pain killer.

Have you tried naproxen? It's dosed differently but is often more effective than Advil for knee pain. It's OTC, worth a try perhaps!
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Options
    I've tried it but my knee pain seems to flare up even worse. Perhaps it is like the cortisone flare you get with shots? I haven't given it much time to see.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If it's really that small you can superglue a cut shut. I've done it countless times on my fingertips with no negative side effects.
  • hekla90
    Options
    I've tried it but my knee pain seems to flare up even worse. Perhaps it is like the cortisone flare you get with shots? I haven't given it much time to see.

I haven't heard that. I do know the cortisone shots get notorious less and less effective and work for a shorter duration everytime you get one. They work so well the first few times! Have you tried just simple RICE? (I'm sure you've tried everything lol!)
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Options

I haven't heard that. I do know the cortisone shots get notorious less and less effective and work for a shorter duration everytime you get one. They work so well the first few times! Have you tried just simple RICE? (I'm sure you've tried everything lol!)

Haha yes, before my knee surgeries. My knee is bone-on-bone in 3 areas, one being weight bearing. RICE doesn't help at all anymore, unfortunately.
  • hekla90
    Options

Haha yes, before my knee surgeries. My knee is bone-on-bone in 3 areas, one being weight bearing. RICE doesn't help at all anymore, unfortunately.
    Ah, just get it fixed! I can't imagine the extra weight of a baby on top of being very limited with pain meds and new baby! I know a few younger people who have done their knee replacements and are super happy after them!

• Ieyen
    Ieyen Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi and thanks in advance! I cut my hand this morning, in between my thumb and first finger. When I stretch out my hand, the wound opens. It bled for about an hour, but nothing serious as it really is a tiny cut. Now though, when I walk it starts to bleed again. This is now 6 hours of bleeding. On my last walk, it bled through the bandaid. Do you think I might need a stitch? It really is a tiny wound so I feel dumb, but the bleeding is annoying, not to mention an open wound on the hand is a recipe for disaster.

I'm an Emergency doc. get someone to look at it. If it hasn't stopped bleeding by now, it's most likely because 1) it's in a mobile part of the hand and keeps reopening, or 2) you hit a small artery, or perhaps a combination of above. 3) You could also have some kind of bleeding problem (from meds, genetics, etc). Less likely unless you're a medically complicated person.

contrary to some previous posts:
    it's NEVER too late to close something actively bleeding

stupid little cuts lead to infections which can cause serious disability in a hand. So better to have someone look at it. Don't close the wound yourself unless you have no other choice, and if you must, make sure you run it *directly* under water at highest pressure you can get out of your faucet for a few minutes to make sure it's really clean. it will hurt and bleed again though.so better to err on side of caution.

plus, you might need a tetanus shot

• Fit4LifeAR
    Options

Ah, just get it fixed! I can't imagine the extra weight of a baby on top of being very limited with pain meds and new baby! I know a few younger people who have done their knee replacements and are super happy after them!

I've really been considering it lately, it hurts pretty bad most of the time. From what I hear, recovery might not even be as bad as normal knee surgery. My last surgery, my little pain ball that numbs your leg, started leaking. I made the really dumb decision to just pull it out lol. That might have been the worst decision ever!! Our daughter was 1 at the time, so I had no choice to get up and chase her around on crutches.
  • HeyNikkita
    HeyNikkita Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Super glue it shut.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you think you MIGHT need a doctor- what would posses you to ask an internet forum full of strangers?

seriously.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    If you think you MIGHT need a doctor- what would posses you to ask an internet forum full of strangers?

seriously.

Well at least we all learned about Super Glue!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »

seriously.

- well yes- super glue was originally designed for the seals I think to be quick "bandaides"
    but still... if you THINK you have a problem... a doctor is a better option then us. LOL
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Options

seriously.

Calm down, if I "might" need a doctor it obviously isn't that serious. And honestly, the post wasnt that serious either. Take a deep breath, it will be ok!

Lol on another note, I've heard the super glue works too.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »

seriously.

- well yes- super glue was originally designed for the seals I think to be quick "bandaides"
    but still... if you THINK you have a problem... a doctor is a better option then us. LOL

Have you been to an ER lately? Y'all might give better advice.