Do you drink wine/alcohol and still maintain?

Options

Replies

• becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of wine a few nights a week.......as Sabine above stated - with menopause and all - it's easier to keep my weight in check if I don't drink every night.
  • Momakanga
    Momakanga Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yep, I just make sure I have enough calories to cover it. I often have two ounces of port or honey whiskey at the end of the day. I have been maintaining fine.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Spinning on Friday mornings and Parkrun Saturday makes room for a few glasses of wine or couple of pints of beer.
    I have to be strict with myself if I have a hangover after a big night, because I become wildly desperate for salty cheesy food.
  • Kelly9405
    Kelly9405 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    You gained weight because you ate more calories than you burned. I drink pretty often and maintain.

This. I have 1 glass of red wine a few times a week and I'm still losing.

• MrsMoviestar
    MrsMoviestar Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink, so it's a non issue for me. Therefore, if I have an occasional cocktail, I don't stress about the excess calories. However, people that drink alcohol daily should be aware that they are consuming a great deal of calories. I rather eat, than drink my calories!

The joy of MFP is that most drinkers are very aware of how many calories they're consuming in alcohol...Thank goodness for weighing, logging and knowing you can afford a drink or two ;)

Yes! Providing they are tracking! Ha!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Binge drink several times a week and lose weight. Watch your food.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I Have a few drinks just about every Saturday. I was able to take off 160 pounds doing so. I am just over a month into maintenance, and still doing fine.
  • bonneboo
    bonneboo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes - I maintain. Sometimes I overdo the drinks but I still manage to maintain
  • bonneboo
    Options
    If I left it alone I'd lose instead of just maintaining, cause in all honesty I dont count my macros that well when I hit it
  • bonneboo
    Options
    looney9708 wrote: »
    I'm sure I would lose weight faster if I didn't drink, but you can pry my wine from my cold dead fingers.

same here!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Yes, alcohol is a bit of a magic bullet for me. I do gain when I drink but it's a slow process. I cut out drinking entirely a couple of times a year, and mostly when I'm working to lose weight. I love a good drink, but as I get older I'm becoming more health conscious and am enjoying drinking less and less. I guess that's a good thing.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink, so it's a non issue for me. Therefore, if I have an occasional cocktail, I don't stress about the excess calories. However, people that drink alcohol daily should be aware that they are consuming a great deal of calories. I rather eat, than drink my calories!

The joy of MFP is that most drinkers are very aware of how many calories they're consuming in alcohol...Thank goodness for weighing, logging and knowing you can afford a drink or two ;)

Yes! Providing they are tracking! Ha!

I love MFP for this. I never used to have a clue about the calories in wine, or anything else for that matter. Now I know, exactly, how much I am drinking. Really great feeling.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't because I'd rather have dessert than alcohol, but if you want your wine, make room for it!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    <<- drinks wine occasionally, losing weight.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    And if I know it's going to be a wild night I find a way to fit in the whole bottle.

Phrasing! @arditarose
  • lohlgren
    lohlgren Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Big wine drinker here! I live in wine country and have never given up my nightly drinks. It's never slowed my loss, I just work it in. (Or work it off!) Doubt any doctor would put a stamp of approval on it though!
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    fatfudgery wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    And if I know it's going to be a wild night I find a way to fit in the whole bottle.

Phrasing! @arditarose

:D:D:D
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you're not counting the wine as part of your daily calories, I guess it could affect your loss. I'm maintaining and usually have 1 6 oz. glass per night, which is about 120 calories. If you're drinking a "big pour" or 2 glasses, that' 240 calories, so it could be keeping the weight on. You might have to limit or measure the booze, just like you do everything else.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I do have alcohol, but it ruins my sleep if I drink more than 1-2 drinks at a time. Because of that, I feel more hungover the next day which leads to bad food choices and less physical activity the next day. So if I am going to have a big night I make sure to plan my fitness schedule around it. That's just me, though.

My own experience aside, I would suggest a compromise having wine only on the weekends or something to help you maintain. But if you plan carefully and it fits in your calorie allotment, the extra wine shouldn't be too much of a problem... other than the normal risks involved with alcohol (heart related, etc.).