Critique my deadlift, version two.

Options
2»

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

breathing is super super important. master it from the beginning and it will benefit you a long way . Hold your breath in and core tight the entire way up until you lock out. Letting it out on the way up is gonna cause a loss of core strength. Suck in a deep breath at the bottom of the lift while you are setting up. Hold it all the way up until you lock it out, then you can exhale at the top or slowly exhale as you are lowering the bar back down. i prefer the exhale on the way down so i retain some core strength to lower the bar controlled. If you are doing sets, you'll be ready for a deep breath again at the bottom. For every type of lift in the gym keep your breath in for the whole lift, only let it out after you've completed the lift or when you are resetting for the next rep.
  • SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you OP for starting this thread and putting yourself out here. All the advise is so helpful for me too.

So again, thank you and happy lifting :)
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    If you're gym has a smith machine it might be helpful and you can start from a bit higher up. I just started deadlifting like a week ago so I'm not much to help with form but it does look like your back should be straight instead of curved. I've been using the smith machine (I know a lot of people have issues with the machine but I've found it helps a lot in terms of learning proper form before trying without assistance) Also if your gym has mirrors that you can move putting one in front of you or beside you may help as you can watch yourself and correct as you're doing the movement

lol...deadlift on a smith machine??? no. take the advice others have offered.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    yes, no smith machine. Also mirrors are tricky. Every time i have seen someone watching their form in the mirror, they break their form to turn their head and look. you are better off setting up your phone to video, and focusing on the lift rather than trying to see yourself in a mirror.