fish.. yuck!

Options
13»

Replies

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I can't relate. I'll eat most seafood except oysters. We've even had them fresh as you can get from visiting an oyster farm and it is still...yick, no. Their smoked clams, on the other hand, were awesome. But yeah, gimme squid, smoked salmon, pickled herring, razor clams, seaweed, baked cod, fried pollack, fried/baked rockfish, ahi jerky or in poke, hakral could have been worse, smoked eel...nom...
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    I used to be that way until a halibut fishing trip to Alaska. I love beer battered halibut. It's one of the few fish that doesn't taste (or smell) like fish. I can't even fathom eating sushi.

The fish part Ian fine with.... Nori.....eeee please! Who said seaweed was a good idea? Thanks to sushi I believe in healthy enough! Pass the sushimi tuna with wasabi please........

I grew up in an area with a LOT of Asian food, and I always felt the same way. Recently tried sushi again and found that the nori did not bother me at all.

Point being...tastes change over time. It's not a bad idea to try things again every couple of years.

I LOVE seafood. More for the rest of us!

Taking fish oil supplements is a good idea, even for those who do enjoy seafood.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I love seafood. I can skip pork and beef altogether for months but will miss fish and shellfish. Mind and reasoning is a wonderful thing to have. Pigs and cows are dirty and too close to human, ie mammals, if you look closely and want to gross yourself out to reduce eating them. :)

Fish and shellfish are many species removed. The smells, textures, tastes, looks are wildly different and creative. There's a "clean" feeling about fish.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Pigs and cows are dirty and too close to human, ie mammals, if you look closely and want to gross yourself out to reduce eating them. :)

Fish and shellfish are many species removed. The smells, textures, tastes, looks are wildly different and creative. There's a "clean" feeling about fish.

Land mammals and sea creatures are animals all the same, some find them more gross or more palatable than others. All living animals have equally gross features about them.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I hate fish. All seafood. Can't stand the smell in the grocery store. I did just buy some krill oil capsules to get something down me, they're smaller. I have to hold my breath opening the container.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    I can't relate. I'll eat most seafood except oysters. We've even had them fresh as you can get from visiting an oyster farm and it is still...yick, no. Their smoked clams, on the other hand, were awesome. But yeah, gimme squid, smoked salmon, pickled herring, razor clams, seaweed, baked cod, fried pollack, fried/baked rockfish, ahi jerky or in poke, hakral could have been worse, smoked eel...nom...

Oysters aren't food. Oysters belong in the ocean, making little baby oysters, not on my plate!
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Pigs and cows are dirty and too close to human, ie mammals, if you look closely and want to gross yourself out to reduce eating them. :)

Land mammals and sea creatures are animals all the same, some find them more gross or more palatable than others. All living animals have equally gross features about them.

Most meat eaters, me included, are hypocrites. We only want to approach pork and beef as they come nicely wrapped in a clean container. Somebody else done the killing for us. 9 out of 10 cannot witness the killing, gutting and chopping, sawing of these animals. I saw only a documentary of the process and lost my appetite for weeks.

OTOH, I have no problem clubbing dead a big catfish, filleting it or boiling hundreds of live clams and shrimps.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options

Most meat eaters, me included, are hypocrites. We only want to approach pork and beef as they come nicely wrapped in a clean container. Somebody else done the killing for us. 9 out of 10 cannot witness the killing, gutting and chopping, sawing of these animals. I saw only a documentary of the process and lost my appetite for weeks.

OTOH, I have no problem clubbing dead a big catfish, filleting it or boiling hundreds of live clams and shrimps.

You can if most of your family and friends are hunters. I've helped clean my share of deer, fish and other wildlife. I grew up and lived amongst hunters for most of my life, so I know perfectly well that juicy steak didn't start out all clean and pretty and packaged.