No Carbs at Dinner?

Options
Wondering if anyone has tried this. I did so once and it seemed to work (but it could have been a host of other things...particularly that my weight training was really intense then). Thinking about taking it up again. Don't have a lot to lose and I eat fairly well...definitely under my calorie limit each day (1200....I am only 4'11).

Has anyone done this? Had it work? Have a sense of why or why it didn't work?

My hesitancy is around how things would need to change re: my cooking (husband does most of it and is great at it.....I tend to set kitchens aflame!) and the fact that I don't eat meat which makes this a bit of a challenge.

Any thoughts, ideas, stories, would be much appreciated!
thanks!

Replies

• CraftyWeeWifey
    CraftyWeeWifey Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I eat no to low carbs at dinner. But I eat meat lol. So dinner is often some form of fish/meat with lots of cooked and fresh veges. Its not the only thing I'm doing though.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I like carbs at night. I sleep well. :)
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Why would you restrict carbs at dinner? Not judging or disagreeing. Genuinely curious about what it's supposed to accomplish?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Why?

I eat carbs whenever I want to eat carbs. I've lost roughly 40 Lbs total and counting. Carbs aren't the devil. You may benefit from a reduction in carbs if you are for the most part sedentary and don't really exercise and/or you have some resistance to insulin...other than that, it's not going to make a lick of difference.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. To me it's all about getting within my range of 1200-1400 calories (net) and watching my sodium intake. Other than that, anything goes. I want to lose weight and learn about portions, but I don't want food to control my life so I try not to restrict my diet too much. Maybe try it for a week and see how you like it. I feel like a week is a good length of time to figure something like that out.
  • mittencat77
    mittencat77 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Why would you restrict carbs at dinner? Not judging or disagreeing. Genuinely curious about what it's supposed to accomplish?

I had read this in a Jillian Michaels book. It was all about hormone/sugar regulation (particularly gherelin...spelling?). Thought someone might know a bit more about this idea in particular.
  • utvol1982
    utvol1982 Posts: 9
    Options
    Why?

I eat carbs whenever I want to eat carbs. I've lost roughly 40 Lbs total and counting. Carbs aren't the devil. You may benefit from a reduction in carbs if you are for the most part sedentary and don't really exercise and/or you have some resistance to insulin...other than that, it's not going to make a lick of difference.

This is the best answer ever !!!

Reduce / Control but don't eliminate carbs.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I had read this in a Jillian Michaels book. It was all about hormone/sugar regulation (particularly gherelin...spelling?). Thought someone might know a bit more about this idea in particular.

Jillian is talking out of her *kitten*.
  • mittencat77
    Options
    Why?

I guess I wonder if I do have some resistance to insulin. My grandmother was diabetic (the acquired type...cannot remember which one that is). I have been a pretty serious athlete in the past, yet have always had a layer of padding on me. I don't eat process foods and I kick the $@#%@$ of the fittest looking people at the gym. I do not understand why I have this extra weight. It doesn't make a lot of sense really.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    talking to Patrick - and you're talking out of your belly. I don't think I've ever even seen your *kitten* and we've been friends forever. hmmm...
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I eat no to low carbs at dinner. But I eat meat lol. So dinner is often some form of fish/meat with lots of cooked and fresh veges. Its not the only thing I'm doing though.

Not trying to pick a fight...but aren't most veggies carbs?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    taking to Patrick - and you're talking out of your belly. I don't think I've ever even seen your *kitten* and we've been friends forever. hmmm...

My belly likes carbs. At night. =)
  • mittencat77
    Options

Sorry...I should have been clearer....starchy carbs (potatos, pasta, rice, bread).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Why?

I guess I wonder if I do have some resistance to insulin. My grandmother was diabetic (the acquired type...cannot remember which one that is). I have been a pretty serious athlete in the past, yet have always had a layer of padding on me. I don't eat process foods and I kick the $@#%@$ of the fittest looking people at the gym. I do not understand why I have this extra weight. It doesn't make a lot of sense really.

You might just want to get some blood work done, that way you know which direction you need to take, if any. I was having a hard time at one point despite restricting my calories, etc..It may actually be nothing at all...for me, the issue was nothing as serious as being insulin resistant...it was that I was vitamin D deficient...started taking 5,000 IU as per my doctor and getting some sunshine...voila...fat melt.
  • mittencat77
    Options
    Why?

You might just want to get some blood work done, that way you know which direction you need to take, if any. I was having a hard time at one point despite restricting my calories, etc..It may actually be nothing at all...for me, the issue was nothing as serious as being insulin resistant...it was that I was vitamin D deficient...started taking 5,000 IU as per my doctor and getting some sunshine...voila...fat melt.

WOW! Thanks!
  • CraftyWeeWifey
    CraftyWeeWifey Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I guess I was thinking of starchy carbs.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options

Jillian also sells detox and cleanse products.....I would not consider her a credible source.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I tried it when I did the Tone It Up plan where you're not allowed 'starch' after lunch. The problem was that I didn't feel full in the evenings, and that led to headaches, crankiness towards bedtime, and impacted the quality of my sleep.

Allegedly, you won't burn off the calories since you're going to bed in a few hours, but the reality is that it's calories in and out over time that counts. Anything stored overnight will be burned off in the morning. It's like saying your car only needs gas in the mornings, but if you go for a drive in the evening, the tank can be empty.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Jillian also sells detox and cleanse products.....I would not consider her a credible source.

^^

Her workouts are amazing - effective, doable, and don't take up much time. But her stance on nutrition keeps changing, and she has commercial ventures, eg weight loss apps etc. I love her DVD's, but not her food plans or other products.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Wondering if anyone has tried this. I did so once and it seemed to work (but it could have been a host of other things...particularly that my weight training was really intense then). Thinking about taking it up again. Don't have a lot to lose and I eat fairly well...definitely under my calorie limit each day (1200....I am only 4'11).

Has anyone done this? Had it work? Have a sense of why or why it didn't work?

My hesitancy is around how things would need to change re: my cooking (husband does most of it and is great at it.....I tend to set kitchens aflame!) and the fact that I don't eat meat which makes this a bit of a challenge.

Any thoughts, ideas, stories, would be much appreciated!
    thanks!

Not to derail your carb question, but I am 4' 11" and I consume between 1400-1600 cals daily. I cycle 20 miles and lost 4 lbs and 2 inches off of my thighs, and an inch from my buttinsky. Are you netting 1200 daily?