Weight Lifting Effects On Losing

Options
Hey all- was just wondering what everyone's experience is if they lift and how that effects losing?

I joined a gym a month ago and started logging again a week ago. I've lost inches, not so many pounds (obviously logging will help). I'm just wondering if the lifting will cause a slower rate of decreasing numbers on the scale?

(My workouts involve 10 min cardio warmup, 20-30 min lifting, 10-15 min cardio cool down along with other cardio days thrown in based on my schedule...)

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The only reasons lifting "causes" slower rate of weight loss is:
    1. Initial water weight gain due to repairing the muscle.
    2. Little to no lean mass loss versus diet alone or diet and cardio.

The benefit of lifting is that the weight you do lose will be mostly fat, so in the long run you could end up needing to lose less weight to achieve a lean/toned look.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I think it helps a lot, particularly if you do circuit training, where you move quickly between exercises with minimal rest. Cardio and weight training at the same time!
  • caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I recommend taking your measurements with a tape measure.

The Omron brand body fat testers are pretty good too. They aren't super accurate, but they are pretty consistent, and often a better measure of progress than the scale for a new weight lifter.
  • Winter_Girl92
    Winter_Girl92 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting for about 6 weeks now and have lost 6kgs. I count calories and average about 1700. The first 3weeks the scale moved minimally. Then I had a 2kg woosh and the weight has been coming off at roughly 1kg a week since.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I'd rather lose inches than pounds....