Help

Options
This is the hardest thing I have ever done. Need all the help I can get need to lose 100 pounds!!!

Replies

• nessssa36
    nessssa36 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Me too!
  • kristinaxoxo011
    kristinaxoxo011 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The hard part is starting and you're here so you've done that. Small changes net big results. Log everything you eat, just start there. Once you start seeing results, and you will, your confidence grows and it gets easier. Add me if you'd like, support here is key. Good luck, you can do this.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Just take it 1 day at a time. Work on establishing healthy eating habits so that you hit a specific calorie goal and good macro (protein/carb/fat) totals for you.

What I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to make good progress towards your goal. If you are trying to lose weight, eat so you drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~1600 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for 2 weeks. If you lose 1-2 lbs/week, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few cycles, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.

Also find an exercise regime that you can stick to. That helps quite a bit too.
  • nettmg1521
    nettmg1521 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank You!! I just started like 2 weeks ago. I have never had to do the % stuff 50 carbs 30 protein and 20 fats. I am always over %. It's driving me crazy. I have tried all kinds of diets none of them work so I really need to find one that make sense to me.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I agree with just taking it one day at a time. Just stay on track and do what you need to do on a daily basis and it will start to show in how you look and feel and before you know it you will have a whole new lifestyle you are living. Good luck!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It takes a long time to figure out macros and percentages. I used to say my Food Diary was like a Rubik's cube and I couldn't figure it out.

It helped me when I started looking at Protein as the #1 thing to get right. Protein and Fats should be seen as a minimum goal to hit, then the Carbs can fall where they will. I try to keep my Carbs moderate (under 150g a day on my 1400 calories.)

It takes time. Just log everything you eat, and you will learn from your Food Diary. Go easy on yourself, it takes time to learn anything. :)

• alphastarz
    alphastarz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I know realizing you need to lose 100+ lbs can seem overwhelming at first. Here's my tips for starting out obese. 1. Focus on what you CAN do instead of can't. Exercise is hard at higher weights, if you need to the first month just concentrate on diet, or you walk around the block once a day, or google seated strength training exercises that's ok. Small changes is how you endure a long journey, and prevent injury. 2. Focus on what you CAN and should eat instead of getting caught up in the emotion that there are things you can't/shouldn't. Change your habits one meal, or one recipe at a time. Learning fresh how to shop and cook differently can be just as overwhelming otherwise as the thought of running a 6 minute mile. Your palette and preferences will change slowly over time as well. 3. Make smaller/mini goals and rewards. 100 lbs took awhile to put on, and it's going to take awhile to take off. Help yourself stay motivated by thinking of a date or event that is not as far off and setting an incremental weight goal, in the range of 10-20lbs total at a rate of -2lbs a week.
    You can do it!
    (I'm mid-journey myself, started out with a bmi of 40, morbidly obese, recently celebrated crossing into "ONEderland" for first time in a decade.)
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    nettmg1521 wrote: »
    Thank You!! I just started like 2 weeks ago. I have never had to do the % stuff 50 carbs 30 protein and 20 fats. I am always over %. It's driving me crazy. I have tried all kinds of diets none of them work so I really need to find one that make sense to me.

I think if for now you just focus on hitting protein and fibre targets and having as much carbs and fat as you need to make up the extra calories, then you're fine. You won't suffer for not getting carbs and fat spot on. Others may disagree but for protein something like 1.7-2.2 grams per kg of body weight might be good. But there's no reason to take what I say as gospel and there are plenty of far more experienced people on here who can probably tell you better if need be. I'll just finish off by saying the only diet you need is simply cutting calories beneath what you burn. A workable diet doesn't haven't a brand name, doesn't require marketing or for you to handover any money to someone promising instant results. Just eat less than you burn, weight will come off.