Muscle loss from HIIT Cardio

Options
anthony150paolucci
anthony150paolucci Posts: 85 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been doing HIIT Cardio quite a lot since the beginning of 2014 and have noticed quite a bit of muscle loss, most notably in my arms. I was thinking maybe the cause for this was because either I was exercising too much and overexerted my body or I didn't get enough protein to repair my muscles (it could be a combination of both).

What are your opinions are on what could have happened that contributed to my muscle loss?

Replies

• EricLFC1892
    EricLFC1892 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    are you doing any strength training to maintain muscle?
  • anthony150paolucci
    anthony150paolucci Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    No, I'm currently not on any strength training exercise regimen.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How big a calorie deficit are you running?
  • Jacob1020
    Jacob1020 Posts: 115 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I would suggest to take a look at your macronutrients for a minute ( Protien & Fat ) & your calorie intake. Adjust that. & start implementing strength training regularly.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "What are your opinions are on what could have happened that contributed to my muscle loss? "

Excessive deficit.
    Inadequate protein.
    Lack of muscle stimulus - you don't mention what form your HIIT took.

Which is why people advocate:
    Moderate calorie deficit.
    Higher than "normal" protein intake.
    Muscle stimulus with strength/resistance training being the most effective.

It's very, very hard to lose muscle through excessive exercise if you are fuelling your exercise properly.

• EricLFC1892
    EricLFC1892 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

This and nutrition is your answer right there!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Lack of stimuli to maintain muscle mass and a caloric deficit are you answers right there.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2016
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    "What are your opinions are on what could have happened that contributed to my muscle loss? "

Excessive deficit.
    Inadequate protein.
    Lack of muscle stimulus - you don't mention what form your HIIT took.

Which is why people advocate:
    Moderate calorie deficit.
    Higher than "normal" protein intake.
    Muscle stimulus with strength/resistance training being the most effective.

It's very, very hard to lose muscle through excessive exercise if you are fuelling your exercise properly.

This essentially. HIIT can be enough stimili to maintain lean body mass, but dietary factors will address that.

Essentially, we need more details.

Also, how are you measuring muscle loss?
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have been doing HIIT Cardio quite a lot since the beginning of 2014 and have noticed quite a bit of muscle loss, most notably in my arms. I was thinking maybe the cause for this was because either I was exercising too much and overexerted my body or I didn't get enough protein to repair my muscles (it could be a combination of both).

What are your opinions are on what could have happened that contributed to my muscle loss?

When you lose weight, it pretty much always involves losing muscle mass. I know everyone gets all in an uproar about losing muscle. Hey, but it happens!!! Most of the time the muscle you lose isn't muscle that is used for your HIIT workouts (such as running, or cycling - where loss of muscle in the arm and chest are common).

Had you been lifting during your "cut", it would have helped mitigate how much upper body/arm muscle loss you have experienced.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Well, then this is why you're losing muscle mass in your arms.

Your body is breaking down muscle mass in the arms, and building muscle mass where you're using it (Legs, glutes, etc).