Elevated Liver Enzymes

Options
bdgfn
bdgfn Posts: 7,719 Member
My latest blood work showed very high liver enzymes for the first time ever. 6 months ago it was fine, although my iron level was low. So I started taking an iron tablet daily, and the iron has come back up, but now this. I don't think it is a coincidence that this happened since the base shoppette has started selling Krispy Kreme donuts every day. :|

Anyway, I went in for an ultrasound yesterday after work. They kept asking me if I was in any pain, and I'm not. Then, the ultrasound showed nothing unusual, other than a fatty liver. They want me to eat a very bland diet for the next several days and then come back in on Tuesday morning and have my liver enzymes checked again to see if they are getting any better. And when I say bland, I mean bland. No protein at all. No coffee. No wine. No sugar. Vegetables and fruit. And only water or tea to drink. That isn't really a problem. It's only 5 days after all. But we are going to Bern, Switzerland tomorrow with a side trip to a chocolate factory. No chocolate for me. No coffee on the way there and back. No meat. But as I told my wife, this isn't a trip to go eat food, it's a site-seeing trip, and this does not change that. Then on Sunday, we have reservations for a champagne brunch for Easter for us and another couple. I will go, of course, but just be very careful about what I eat. There is no sense in the others not enjoying themselves.

Anyway, this has given me a wakeup call. I need to be a lot more vigilant about what I eat and drink, and make sure I log everything!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You have motivation to log. Enjoy the trip. :)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Tell everyone around you about your special diet so they can fully support you.
    Iron can be dangerous in high amounts - hope your doctor knows your dosage.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You seem really self aware and whilst it does suck about the timing - in the long run I'm glad you'll be getting the help advice you need. I'm sending you good vibes for the days ahead. Pre pack yourself some snack boxes with foods you CAN eat in, as if you stop off and can't have anything you'll be a) sad b) hungry c) sad and hungry.

Having health tests done and the associated fasts etc sadly I'm very familiar with. I know just how tough it can be so this is my little pep talk to you to say you've got this and whatever the outcome I hope your health outcome is positive.

Finally regarding the Easter brunch - if you mentioned to the other couple what's going on they may even offer to reschedule. If they offer, I would take them up on it.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I had normal liver enzymes in May of last year and by November they were elevated. Testing revealed NAFLD which while generally non-symptomatic can ultimately lead to liver damage if not addressed. My doctor suggested that I lose weight and attempt a LCHF diet. I had gained 50+ lbs in a relatively short period of time which greatly increased my visceral fat as well, so my MD is hoping that by dropping the weight that the NAFLD will reverse itself.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I just want to let you know, a diet of mostly vegetables & fruit does not have to be bland. There's plenty of low sodium/sodium-free spice mixes, herbs, fat free dressings & vinaigrettes, sauces and dips to experiment with. After you get used to a reduced fat/sodium taste, you won't find it as bland! I hope you can open your mind up to it. :)
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Fruit is going to make your fatty liver worse so I would stay completely away from fructose. Not sure why they don't want you to eat protein since it has no bearing on the liver. You do need to change your diet though if your liver enzymes are high. You need a ketogenic diet to reverse your fatty liver. Also have them check you for Hemochromatosis by doing a full liver panel and genetic test if TIBC and iron comes back abnormal.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    bdgfn wrote: »
    They want me to eat a very bland diet for the next several days and then come back in on Tuesday morning and have my liver enzymes checked again to see if they are getting any better. And when I say bland, I mean bland. No protein at all. No coffee. No wine. No sugar. Vegetables and fruit. And only water or tea to drink.

I would opt for crucifixion.
  • bdgfn
    Options
    It wasn't so bad, and after 5 days, the numbers returned to normal. I think I know what drove the numbers up. It happened shortly after they started serving Krispy Kreme donuts out of the PX Shopette on base. Coincidence? I doubt it. :p
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Keep carbs under 100 grams/day.

This is silly unfounded advice.

I had high liver enzymes and a fatty liver diagnosed 3 years ago, and it's all cleared up now. I'm probably 50-60lbs lighter :)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Protein in moderation is fine. Fatty Liver usually result of too many Carbs. Keep them under 100 grams/day. No more doughnuts, cokes, etc.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »

This is silly unfounded advice.

I had high liver enzymes and a fatty liver diagnosed 3 years ago, and it's all cleared up now. I'm probably 50-60lbs lighter :)

On the contrary - it is quite "Founded". High Carbs=High sugar = Fat storage, the first place of which is the Liver. I suggest you read "Why we get Fat" - Gary Taubes, then read The Rosedale Diet. ;)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

He already can't have protein. With a fatty liver, you're suggesting he eat mostly fat? That doesn't sound like the best advice.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Protein in moderation is fine. Fatty Liver usually result of too many Carbs. Keep them under 100 grams/day. No more doughnuts, cokes, etc.

His doctor said no protein.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Seriously, my liver enzymes were elevated and when I stopped eating gluten (despite my doctor telling me that the two were unrelated), my liver enzymes went back to normal.

You stopped eating gluten. As a matter of fact, you stopped eating everything (or so it seems).

Just a thought in case it helps you to identify the culprit.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that one cause of fatty liver (other than obesity) is rapid weight loss. Don't know if you're dropping weight quickly, but if you are it's probably best to slow it down a bit.
  • bdgfn
    Options
    Thank you all for your thoughts. That highly restricted diet was very short-term, just five days. And I had already identified the probably cause. Donuts. Too many damn donuts. I have cut them out and haven't had any issues since. Well, except cravings. And that is just my taste buds jonesing for the sugar. I just tell them shut up, they're bored, not hungry.

@stealthq I was unaware of that fact about rapid weight loss, but I haven't had that problem. I do appreciate the info, however. Thanks much.

@Yi5hedr3 You are correct about simple carbs, i.e., anything that comes in a package and is processed, such as bread, donuts, etc. Complex carbs, however, are not only good for you, they are a necessary part of your diet. These include fresh fruits and vegetables among other things. My MFP daily goal is 203 carbs per day, and while I will on a rare occasion have a simple carb, the vast majority of mine are fruits and veggies.