Cliff Bars Or Peanut Butter And Jelly Sandwich

Options
I Run a 10K Every Other Day. For Energy and Calories, I Drink A Gnc Amplified Extreme 60 Whey Shake 30 Mins After I Run And A Cliff Bar About A Hour After That. It Has 240 calories, 41 carbs, 7 fat, 9 protiens, 21 sugar. But A PJ Sandwich Has 370 calories, 52 carbs, 17 fat, 12 protien. It Seems PBJ Is Better or just as good. Expense Wise Also Cheaper. ALSO..Should I Be Eaten Before I Run Or Both? I Wake Up About 545am and start running at 615. Its to hard for me to get up at 400am to eat. but energy Has Been A issue during and expecially afterwards at work. I Am On A 2000 Calorie Diet and I Eat My Calories Back So I Have Calories To Eat. Most Days I Dont Eat My Calories. Its Hard. Can I Eat A Hour Before I Run And What And How Much To Run A 10K??

Replies

• cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how long you have been running 10K's , but my advice. ...It is trial and error. You ,and only you , will be able to figure out what works best and when. I like to have a PB before I run on weeknds , as it is easy for me.Ii am up at 4am to get proper nutriton/hydration in before my run. I get dressed eat , and lie back down for 25 mintues or so, before I drive to meet others for our group club run. It works for me. What I eat and when , during the week , is dependant on many things - duration of run , heat/humidity, intensity of run..and so many other factors , that are never the same twice.
    So , again - you may get much advice on what works for others..but it will all come down to your personal "trial & error".
    Good Luck with it!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I personally like to eat a hard boiled egg or some greek yogurt before I workout in the mornings. And I don't eat an hour before -- more like 20 minutes before. It's not much (not enough to make me sick by eating so close to exercising), but just enough protein to keep me going through my workout. If I workout in the evening, I usually eat greek yogurt, and appple & pb, or a nutrition bar (like clif or luna by clif) beforehand. Since the calorie difference doesn't matter to you, my only comment as to PB&J vs. Clif is that the Clif bar most likely contains higher amounts of vitamins & minerals. If I were to choose the sandwich, I'd personally use natural pb and leave off the jelly because all the sugar in the jelly is pretty much just adding empty calories to the sandwich. If you don't like plain PB sandwiches, feel free to keep on j'ing it though. :smile:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    The eating before, everyone is different. I don't have enough energy if I don't get up and eat something about 15 minutes before going out for a run. I actually eat a kids cliff bar before with 120 calories or I will have Powerbar gel blasts after I start the run.

After, it is imporant to have something. Many running articles suggest a deli meat sandwhich after a run. So PB &J would be fine. I always like yogurt with oatmeal and a glass of chocolate milk after a run, especially when it is hot. It replenishes the fluids as well as good protein.

Have fun.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    It all depends on you and your body. I exercise at 5 AM also and can NOT get up earlier to eat! I have either a banana or sip of fruit juice before going at it.

To me 6 miles doesn't need a pre-run meal or post run but to others it definitely can be needed. If you need energy to run, definitely try fruit or something small that will not "fill" up your stomach. Also definitely eat after - your body needs fuel in the morning anyway and you just wore it out! :)

If you prefer PBJ I say go for it! Protein bars are pricey but good... I honestly prefer PBJ myself - plus you are getting a bit more protein and carbs for recovery. :)