Another negative adjustments question

Options
Hi friends,

Here is a scenario for your consideration. I find it puzzling and hope you can help explain why negative adjustments seem to be so counter-intuitive.

5:10pm - 4081 steps, transfered from fitbit. This registers as 477 Kilojoules in my Exercise section on MyFitnessPal. I realise that I'm pretty far behind where I need to be so decide to go for a ride on my bike.

6:45pm - Back from my ride which I record on MapMyRide. It shows up in MyFitnessPal as 5753kj which is awesome, but the 4081 steps which previously counted for 477kj, now seem to be -251kj.

By the end of the day, things seem to level out which is cool but it makes planning meals and exercise kind of hard to manage.

How can an activity be worth kilojoules one minute, then cost me kilojoules the next? This scenario seems to happen often, and I get kind of peeved about it. Sometimes the discrepancy is really large. I only use this one because I took screen shots so I have a record of the changes.

Anyone got a logical explanation for me?

Replies

• tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    It's the exercise. Your fitbit doesn't know you've been exercising, so it thinks the calorie expenditure needs to be adjusted to what it thinks you actually did.

I had the same problem with my Jawbone. However, when I began adding the workout into my Jawbone, the problem was fixed. Though jawbone auto syncs with both mapmyfitness and myfitnesspal, gym workouts had to be logged into both.
  • andrewford80
    andrewford80 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I still don't get how doing more exercise seems to cancel out the existing exercise. Seems very counter intuitive to me
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Fitbit doesn't agree with the the calorie burn MFP/MapMyEtc set so it's trying to adjust for it. So let's say MFP says you burned 500, Fitbit disagrees and thinks you only burned 300 so it will adjust -200 so it likes the numbers.

Basically negative adjustments give Fitbit control to change the calorie burn to what it feels is correct.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    tapwaters wrote: »
    It's the exercise. Your fitbit doesn't know you've been exercising, so it thinks the calorie expenditure needs to be adjusted to what it thinks you actually did.

I had the same problem with my Jawbone. However, when I began adding the workout into my Jawbone, the problem was fixed. Though jawbone auto syncs with both mapmyfitness and myfitnesspal, gym workouts had to be logged into both.

@tapwaters

I've been having a problem figuring this part out. Do I log my exercise in jawbone app or Mfp? Jawbone gives me 337 calories for my biking at the gym, MFP gives me 160, which sounds more realistic. When I out it into MFP, jawbone pretty much negates it by the end of the day. I do another half hour walk so that I have enough steps and it won't do this. Very confused by this. Any Advice?