Hitting big 6-0: Wakeup call

I've been hitting the "snooze" button on my health for quite a while. Longtime smoker, once successfully lost 60 pounds over the course of a year, but over the past 20 years about 35 or so have slowly crept back on. Terrible eating habits, worse (read none) exercise habits. The couple of good things I've done for myself is to basically give up smoking (switched to vaping, which I consider a big improvement), and quitting drinking.

I hadn't been to the doctor for many years, so finally went and have been going through all the various recommended tests, and so far so good with the exception of slightly high BP (it was on the low side most of my life) and slightly high blood sugar (I'm at risk for diabetes due to history of gestational diabetes).

So I'm embarking on weight loss again, eating healthier food, and starting to exercise. I'm still working at my post-retirement career, and plan to do that for another 5-10 years. It's a very sedentary job most of the time, but I enjoy it. Still, I want my health to be good enough to enjoy life when I RETIRE-retire.

Just joined MFP, and so far I'm loving it. This is pretty much what I did when I lost the 60 pounds (keep track of everything I ate), and since I started working on my weight loss I've lost almost 8 pounds, and a few weeks of improving my diet are making me feel better.

Replies

• jrbenji
    jrbenji Posts: 80 Member
    Congrats on the weight loss so far, on making the commitment to do better for your health, for stopping the alcohol habit, and that stinky cigarette habit! With all of those successes under your belt, you've got this weight loss journey whipped! That is amazing! I've got a 100 pounds ...well, 101, to lose but this is the first time I've changed my eating habits sober. I stopped drinking a little over a year ago. I'd love to support you and witness your success along the way!
  • LexieCatSJ
    LexieCatSJ Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks for the welcome--I've got seven years (eight in August) of sobriety, and I KNOW I'd be a total mess if I hadn't quit drinking. Nothing else "works" right as long as you're pouring booze into your body. And I put on a quite a few pounds those first few years, but I know I can do it--and so can you!