Are soft drinks/pop really OK?

Options
124»

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Known to cause cancer in the state of California.

Well, then as long as I don't drink my diet sodas in California, I'm good.
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I am American, but I also think it is funny how people get so offended and start defending the sodas when this is brought up. I grew up drinking a lot of soda, and I still drink one every once in a while. But to try to say that they are good for you is just hooey. The regular ones have a lot of sugar and empty calories, and the diet ones have artificial sweeteners, which are not good for you either. Just because you like something and don't want to give it up does not make it good for you!

This! We Americans want to have our coke and drink it too....In Europe people are much more conscious of what they are putting in their bodies (at least in Italy where I lived) and are very good at practicing moderation. Here we just get defensive and say we're going to have all we want of something, good sense be damned!
  • rachseby
    Options
    When ever I come on MFP and see the Soda/Pop Tart/Carb wars I get annoyed because I think a lot of people on this site give crappy eating advice, especially in regards to carb consumption. It like drug addicts telling you that doing drugs in moderation is "just fine"...yeah except you are a drug addict buddy!

The philosophy around here is "Eat what ever you want and as long as you are in a calorie deficit it is ok".
    Bull#

Anyone 30 lbs over weight or more is dealing with clinical pre-diabetes. That means your body no longer processes carbs (any carbs, not just the simple ones) properly and unless you get a handle on eating them you are on your way to full blown diabetes. You can say that it is not cause by over indulging in carbs, but what else is it when people who eat the same calorie intake in fat and protein DO NOT gain weight (aka Atkins) and they control blood sugar (don't get diabetes or metabolic resistance).

I am not going to waste my time with listing websites because I have probably posted at least 3 solid scientific articles in the last six months regarding this issue and no matter what is written people want their carb drugs here. It is like loading a gun and pointing at yourself and thinking, hey I can just pull the trigger and nothing will happen...stupid is as stupid does.

So you can have the Pop Tart, the Soda or the WHATEVER the carb drug you want. Keep your head in the sand, and as long as you lose weight you will be ok...

Yeah what ever. I will hate on the Pop Tarts, because in the end they are crap.

My advice? Do some research and get healthy, not just thin. An occasional goody is ok, but living on daily soda or any junk carb is asking for a life long battle with a disease (diabetes) that is not just on the rise in this country but an epidemic...(mostly because of people living in denial).
    Lol, I guess Asia is screwed because all them noodles (processed carb) then.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I have Chinese friends, and obviously they do not speak for the entire population of Asians, but they have told me that what they really eat in China are a lot of vegetables, fish, some meat, and fruit. Yes, they have rice and noodles, but they don't go overboard with them. They also don't drink milk/much cheese so that probably keeps them thin as well. They own a restaurant, and any time I have seen them eat it is mainly fish and veggies.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Love this SaraSmilesCA! I do think people are in denial, and a lot of the time don't quite realize that carbs do not ONLY make you gain weight... they can mess with blood sugar/insulin production and a lot of other things! I don't completely deprive myself of carbs, but I limit my intake of processed sugars to about 300cals once a week. So, basically, I'll have a reasonable dessert every Saturday, but stay away from most sugars throughout the week. If people are wondering why they often plateau after losing the first 5lbs, it's because our glycogen stores (basically readily-available sugar-based energy) cause our bodies to hold about 5lbs of extra water, which is necessary for the use of that energy.

When you lower or deplete glycogen stores by reducing carb (sugar) intake, your body releases that water... BUT you don't burn ANY fat until your glycogen has been depleted. Burning fat takes more energy that getting rid of glycogen/water, so weight loss often seems to stall while your body is adjusting to the new method of energy expenditure! Every time you drink a pop, you basically do a one-off replacement of your glycogen... causing the process to start all over.
    Lol, and you should know that the MAJORITY of fat burn is at rest and not while exercising. You burn more fat sleeping that you would doing a couple of hours of exercise. BUT you need a calorie deficit for it to happen.
    While you're not incorrect on your summary, you aren't as versed on how fat loss actually happens.

IDEA Fitness member

Um, what? I am fully aware of all the things you just said. What on earth does that have to do with the point I made? Of course you need a calorie deficit! And of course most of your calorie burning happens "at rest" (though of course your body is never really at rest). People generally burn 1500-3000 calories per day without doing any exercise at all. But if you're eating your calories in processed sugars, your body has a much harder time switching into fat-burning mode than if you're eating low-GI complex carbohydrates. Why would your body burn any fat when you're feeding it pure fuel?
    Guess you didn't read it right..............you burn fat at rest. Not glycogen. Even if you're glycogen storage was full, you still burn fat at rest. So cutting carbs to burn fat at rest doesn't make it burn more fat during rest.
    You can accelerate the process of fat burning with low carbs WHEN you're exercising, but as I mentioned you burn more fat at rest than exercising.
    You will still lose weight if you're under your calories, but if you're having too much sugar and not enough protein, a good portion of that could be muscle loss. Not ideal.
    Glycogen is the primary source of energy, secondary fat, then amino acids. Protein levels would have to be pretty low to have sufficient muscle loss, especially if one resistance trains.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Not true, your daily calorie intake is supposed to be at most 55% carbohydrates. If you're eating high-sugar foods INSTEAD of protein, you'll be losing muscle instead of fat.
    Please post a peer reviewed clinical study supporting this. I'd like to read the abstract.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    When ever I come on MFP and see the Soda/Pop Tart/Carb wars I get annoyed because I think a lot of people on this site give crappy eating advice, especially in regards to carb consumption. It like drug addicts telling you that doing drugs in moderation is "just fine"...yeah except you are a drug addict buddy!

The philosophy around here is "Eat what ever you want and as long as you are in a calorie deficit it is ok".
    Bull#

Anyone 30 lbs over weight or more is dealing with clinical pre-diabetes. That means your body no longer processes carbs (any carbs, not just the simple ones) properly and unless you get a handle on eating them you are on your way to full blown diabetes. You can say that it is not cause by over indulging in carbs, but what else is it when people who eat the same calorie intake in fat and protein DO NOT gain weight (aka Atkins) and they control blood sugar (don't get diabetes or metabolic resistance).

I am not going to waste my time with listing websites because I have probably posted at least 3 solid scientific articles in the last six months regarding this issue and no matter what is written people want their carb drugs here. It is like loading a gun and pointing at yourself and thinking, hey I can just pull the trigger and nothing will happen...stupid is as stupid does.

So you can have the Pop Tart, the Soda or the WHATEVER the carb drug you want. Keep your head in the sand, and as long as you lose weight you will be ok...

My advice? Do some research and get healthy, not just thin. An occasional goody is ok, but living on daily soda or any junk carb is asking for a life long battle with a disease (diabetes) that is not just on the rise in this country but an epidemic...(mostly because of people living in denial).

IDEA Fitness member

I have Chinese friends, and obviously they do not speak for the entire population of Asians, but they have told me that what they really eat in China are a lot of vegetables, fish, some meat, and fruit. Yes, they have rice and noodles, but they don't go overboard with them. They also don't drink milk/much cheese so that probably keeps them thin as well. They own a restaurant, and any time I have seen them eat it is mainly fish and veggies.
    That's the point though. Eating rice and noodles for their WHOLE LIFE (practically all Asians eat white rice and not brown), according to the previous post, they should be keeling over from diabetes.

IDEA Fitness member
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    A new clinical study shows 100% of the people who have ever taken a drink of soda will die.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    This issue with the chemical that Pepsi uses, if you investigate further, the studies were in rats and they estimate a human being would have to drink 1000 Pepsi's a day to get the toxic amount of the chemical and even then it MIGHT cause cancer.

Of course, I am a Diet Coke/Diet Dr. Pepper fiend and have decided to live dangerously and just drink it. Life causes death, what are you going to do.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    A new clinical study shows 100% of the people who have ever taken a drink of soda will die.

/end thread
  • rachseby
    Options

Bull#

IDEA Fitness member

That's the point though. Eating rice and noodles for their WHOLE LIFE (practically all Asians eat white rice and not brown), according to the previous post, they should be keeling over from diabetes.

IDEA Fitness member

I see your point. I think that if we just do things in moderation (maybe not heroin) but with everything else we should be fine. Soft drinks/pop are ok, but don't drink (insert ridiculous number here) a day. Unless you want to..but then don't complain if there are consequences.