Veggie burgers

Options
Made home made veggies burgers. Just thought I would share.

1 can white kidney beans, 1 can garbanzo, 3 oz mushroom, 3 oz red bell pepper, 1 1/2 oz jalapeno, 2 oz carrot, 2 tsp minced garlic, 1 1/2 oz cream cheese,1 quick cup oats, 2 tsp soy sauce, spice to taste. (I used a little garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, and spicy Mrs. dash.) Mashed and shaped by hand. I cooked down the veggies a bit before adding them.

Won't use chick peas again because they don't mash easily by hand and I don't have a food processor.

Can easily be made vegan by leaving out cream cheese, substituting vegan cream cheese, or 1 T olive oil.

6 patties at approx 210 calories each.

Has anyone else found that were eating a diet much closer to vegetarian since they started monitoring their dietary intake? I have a lot of vegetarian and vegan friends but have never felt the "moral" pull to follow suit. However in the last 3 months of watching my diet I have found that I only consume meat a few times a week. Usually it is fish. I eat red meat less than once a week.

Replies

• castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've always been vegetarian, but since counting calories, I've realized that it's much easier to eat a good level of calories on a vegan diet than when including dairy. Eggs, well, I never eat more than 2-3 in a day, and probably only 2-3 times a week, so I don't think they have as much of an impact, and they are pretty low-cal, compared to, say, a serving of cheese or chips or something else.

I'll bet you could use greek yogurt in place of the cream cheese, too.

I'll have to try these burgers. I've been trying to find a veggie burger I like. But you forgot to mention how you cook them. Do you fry or bake, or are they ready as is?
  • christinabradford75
    Options
    I'll have to try these burgers. I've been trying to find a veggie burger I like. But you forgot to mention how you cook them. Do you fry or bake, or are they ready as is?
    [/quote]

I pan fried them with just a little bit of non stick spray added to the pan. Baked would work, as would griddle, or George Forman type grill. they are a tiny bit soft before cooking so if cooking on an outdoor grill I would lay down aluminum foil first.

They probably would not be dreadful uncooked, but I wouldn't eat them that way myself :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    sounds burger