Binged for two weekseveruday and binged today

2500-4000 cal. I binged today but have to eat dinner and dessert with family to look normal ugh

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Stop it?
  • Racheldasilva174
    Racheldasilva174 Posts: 87 Member
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Stop it?
    it's hard I can't

• OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Stop it?
    it's hard I can't

Yes, it's hard. But YES YOU CAN.

On the other hand, if you're 100% convinced that you absolutely cannot stop binge eating, then what do you expect anyone on the internet to say that will make your mind?

I'll say it again: Yes, it's hard. But YES YOU CAN. When you're ready to believe that, it'll be time to ask "How can I stop binging?"
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    binge on broccoli
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Log it before you eat it.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    I plan my food for the day the night before or that morning so I can see what I can eat with what I have, and then I do not deviate from that. If I plan to go out and eat or will be in a situation where I'll eat differently, I plan for that by exercising more that morning.

In any event, planning for the day ahead rather than taking it as it comes is a good tool to avoid certain binging.

What triggered this binge-event?
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    If it's emotional or compulsive, look into speaking with someone. It's really not something you should have to tackle on your own. If I can't contact anyone, I try coloring, cleaning, writing in a journal, try to meditate, etc...

If I relapse, I'll log and write down what I remember eating, how I felt, and what might have triggered things and review it with someone.

If not, plan your day better and ask yourself if you're being overly restrictive. Play around with meal timing and add more calories to your diet if needed.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited March 2016
    What do you mean by "have to eat dinner and dessert with family to look normal"?
    How much do you eat on a "good" (non-binging) day? Is your family worried about your eating habits? Should they be?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    2500-4000 cal. I binged today but have to eat dinner and dessert with family to look normal ugh

Why do you have to eat dessert?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    You are describing social pressure. Just stand apart and overcome it. You'll be respected for your choice.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Excuses.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    I'm a binge eater too. I recently found a binge eaters group here on MFP. They have a way of looking at the binge as a "person" so to speak. An adversary. I'm competitive by nature so looking at it like this has kind of changed my mindset. I don't want to let the binge win.
    I'm stronger than the binge.

Keep a daily tabulation.
    Me: 8
    Binge: 0
    DBF: 8

I really DON'T want to see a "win" on the binge's scorecard.
    I don't want the binge to win.
    Ever.
    I'm stronger than the binge.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    2500 calories is not a binge. That's all I came here to say.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,315 Member
    Stop it?
    it's hard I can't

It may be hard, but once you say you can't you are giving up. You CAN.

Also, you don't have to eat with the family since you have eating over your calories already if you are not hungry. If they can't understand that you ate too much, and yes you will have to tell them you have binged, then why are you trying to look normal?
  • Francl27

It's not the amount of calories, it's the behavior.

But wow, my binges are 600-800 calories, I can't imagine 2500, honestly (unless it's Thanksgiving and there's pie).
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

But wow, my binges are 600-800 calories, I can't imagine 2500, honestly (unless it's Thanksgiving and there's pie).

It's most definitely the behavior.

If I have a full on binge day I can easily consume 5000 calories. It's completely out of control. I'm completely out of control.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member

I'm not sure what you are saying here? for someone that eats around 1500-1600 to lose weight, 2500-4000 cals a day for two weeks is most certainly a binge. If you exercise a lot and lift or are trying to gain then no it wouldn't be a binge, but her goals aren't your goals.

OP "it's hard I can't" are the worst words your could damn yourself with, get information, get group support and get moving. Best way to fight a binge is to exercise and start burning those extra calories off.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member

Definitely. I've binged on pounds of vegetables before. It's not as calorie heavy as days where I've eaten almost 10k, but neither behavior is healthy.

• Francl27
    CooCooPuff wrote: »

Definitely. I've binged on pounds of vegetables before. It's not as calorie heavy as days where I've eaten almost 10k, but neither behavior is healthy.

I think the only veggie I've binged on is mashed cauliflower. But typically it's at the start of a binge when I'm trying to avoid eating other stuff (which I end up eating anyway).
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    I've found that planning my food for the week before I go grocery shopping, shopping for only what I've planned for, bringing it home immediately cooking it and prearranging it into containers for meals helps me a lot. If I don't have it, I can't eat it and if I have a limited amount, I know if I overeat today, I won't have enough for another day.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited March 2016
    Given your history of severe calorie restriction and undereating, this doesn't surprise me.

May I suggest a moderate calorie deficit from this point forward? Plus get some professional help to work on your relationship with food.