Leftover Rice uses

Options
2»

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    My family makes yellow rice which it really breakfast rice. Melt a little butter in a pan, add rice when it is warm add beaten eggs, then cook until dry and fluffy. Sprinkle with paprika. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/what-to-do-with-leftover-rice.html

Have you heard of congee? It is rice simmered in asian style chicken broth with ginger. I make a lazy microwave version when I have leftover rice. Top with a fried egg, green onion and hot sauce. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/02/asian-inspired-breakfast-bowl.html
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Dice up some cooked chicken breast, toss it, the rice, some diced celery and carrots into a pot with some chicken stock. Add Marjoram, minced garlic, and black pepper. Simmer until veggies are tender.

Delicious chicken and rice soup.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Dice up some cooked chicken breast, toss it, the rice, some diced celery and carrots into a pot with some chicken stock. Add Marjoram, minced garlic, and black pepper. Simmer until veggies are tender.

Delicious chicken and rice soup.

I like your username lol. Big lotr fan!
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Same happens here. We eat so little white rice, pasta, etc. that there is always leftovers. I try to pair just 1/2 cup with a good amount of protein and veggies when we do eat it.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    ONIGIRI
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Rice and eggs is a very common quick breakfast for me, and one of my favorites.
    • Heat frying pan medium
    • Toss in half a cup of cold, cooked white rice along with a splash of water
    • Toss a couple of minutes until rice is warm, dump into a bowl
    • Fry two or three eggs, however you like 'em (over medium for me)
    • Dump the eggs onto the rice, add whatever other additions you want (cracked pepper and green onions is my most common variant).
    • Enjoy. Takes about 5 minutes to make once the pan is hot.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I know this might sound weird, but when I was little my great-grandma used to make us bowls of hot white rice with cinnamon, sugar and milk poured over it... Kinda like a breakfast cereal.

Not wierd at all. My dad used to add a tad of butter to the warm rice before adding the the cinnamon sugar and milk... this is the yummiest stuff ever and I have not had this is in forever..
  • Pattycake755
    Pattycake755 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have several suggestions:

-Chicken and Rice Soup or add the rice to any kind of canned soup. You can heat up a can of chunky soup (any kind), and pour it over the rice. Or you can buy soup starters or chicken broth and add the rice and season to your taste.

-My mom used to make a "Sloppy Joe-like" skillet of ground beef or turkey in a tangy (comes from a touch of barbecue sauce), tomato sauce (including seasoning onions and bell peppers), and spoon it over white rice. It is so good!

-Vegetable and Rice Soup. I make soup with white rice and/or brown rice. I use brown rice as a substitute for white potatoes in soups since I am diabetic, but it is made with white rice and Campbell sells Chicken and Rice Soup in the can. I also make my stock from scratch, but I have used Chicken Broth and leftover chicken pieces and any vegetable available. No vegetable is safe! I throw it all in the pot! :wink:

-Breakfast Rice Bowl: Two ideas here. We used to scramble eggs and mix it with the rice. You can scramble the eggs with onions, bell peppers, green onions, cheese or whatever you like. I have also been known to add tomatoes, spinach, and mushrooms. Heat the rice, and then mix the scrambled egg mixture and rice together! Delish!
    Second Breakfast Bowl idea: Crumble sausage (turkey or pork) and onions and green onions and Cajun seasoning or any seasoning of your choice and sauteed until done. Heat leftover rice and mix with cooked sausage mixture. I stole this idea from a restaurant that had this on their breakfast buffet!

-Broccoli, Rice, and Chicken Casserole. This casserole is perfect for rice that is already cooked. Of course you can use any boneless, skinless pieces of chicken, but it is often made with chicken breast. Cut chicken into chunks or strips. Season the chicken to your taste. Add cream of mushroom soup, onions, broccoli or another green vegetable (if you don't like broccoli), and grated cheese; then mix together with leftover rice. It should be thick and not runny. Place rice mixture in oven safe dish and place uncooked chicken chunks/strips on top. Cook for about 35 minutes at 375 degrees or until chicken is done. Do not overcook. Oven times do vary!

I hope this sparks some new ideas!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    When I make things like gumbo, curries and stews, I always make extra and freeze them in individual portions. When I have left over rice, I pull one from the freezer and eat it with rice for lunch the next day.
  • bullheaded
    bullheaded Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love, love rice with butter, cinnamon, and sugar or sweetener on it. Also just a tiny pinch of salt.