Eat ALL the THINGS!

Options
I have been dieting pretty well, occasionally going over my calorie limit, but not too often. I've been weighing food these past couple weeks and things have been okay.

But today, I just couldn't stop myself. I had to eat ALL THE THINGS.

I went to the grocery store and bought a Creme Egg and some of those Hershey eggs that they put out at Easter and went to town. While I haven't eaten the Hershey's yet, I made love to that Creme Egg like it was my last night on earth. I savored that baby to the point where the bag boy asked me if I was okay (I was eating it right after it got scanned, tossing the wrapper into my purse, because that's how I roll). On the way home, it was all I could do not to rip open that bag of Hershey eggs and inhale.

I don't know why I did all this. I've been GOOD for three and a half months. I've had weight loss. I feel good about my loss. But I got sad for some reason. Is it because I don't allow myself treats? Is it because I'm weak? I don't know. And I'd just worked out, too.

Does anyone else get that urge to just dive into some bad food? Does that feeling go away? I'm kind of mad at myself, but on the other hand I'm not because, sheesh, I felt I NEEDED that food.

Replies

• bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If you're restricting your calories and dieting for a long period of time, your body and brain are going to fight you. We've all been there. You might be on too low of calories, or you may just need to self reflect next time you feel this way.

I'm sure at least 90% of people who have went on a prolonged diet from a point of obesity have dealt with binge-eating in some regard. You're not alone :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Restricting yourself from occasional treats can do that. Food isn't "good" or "bad", it's more or less nutritious. Save a few calories every day or once a week to enjoy something.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    the only way for me to avoid eating some binge foods i dearly love is not to have them in the house, and if you spend time on the boards, you'll find the common advice is not to bring food you can't resist into the house. in fact, there's a thread somewhere on this board about someone else eating a bunch of easter candy.

after three and a half months, maybe it was just time for a treat. maybe having small (chocolate) treats regularly would help, but hey - who doesn't love creme eggs?
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You may be over restricting. I've found that if I allow myself a small bit of whatever it is I'm really, really craving I don't feel the need for a binge. A Cadbury creme egg once or twice a year isn't hurting anything. Heck, an ounce of quality dark chocolate once a day isn't going to hurt anything as long as you build it into your deficit and macros. Unless you seriously plan to never eat candy again maybe figuring out ways to work it in occasionally makes more sense.

ETA: If tom is impending that could account for the strong cravings....
  • dlz1570
    dlz1570 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did the same... See my post... Damn Easter candy... Couldn't help it the last few days... O well.... I'll start it all over today with eating better
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go with your diet being too restrictive.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread was going to be about eating all the foods while still being able to lose weight!

Sooooooooooo I peeked at your diary and...um...did you set your calorie goal for a 1, 1.5 or 2 lb deficit already because you're leaving calories every day on the table when you don't need to. Even using some of the leftover as an excercise buffer....

But more important, don't feel bad about indulging. It's Easter. Just be more careful with the Hershey's (I've gotta assume you bought the biggish bag of chocolate eggs?).

It's pretty funny you ate it right after it was scanned but look at it this way. You're a good enough person that you put the wrapper in your purse and didn't litter. :)

• Beaner63
    Beaner63 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    I'm going to go with your diet being too restrictive.

I'll agree to this. I had to train myself not to think of food as "good" or "bad" and just as sources of energy. Once I did that, I have not restricted a thing. If I want something, I just make sure I can fit it in my daily allowance, or plan to fit it in on the next day.

KInda nice beaing able to still eat my Rice Krispy Treats and still lose weight.

Or drink Coke Zero and not worry about it.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Buy a bag of Hershey kisses and have a couple everyday. Kills the sweet tooth for ~40cal each.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I agree, your diet is too restrictive. If you're not planning on quitting that stuff forever, you're better off learning to have some in moderation.