Did running feel like this when you started?

Options
I want to be a runner so bad. But, I just don't know if I am able. I can run about 1/8-1/4 of a mile without stopping at a SLOW 4.3mph pace. I feel like I'm dragging my body along. It's hard to breathe. It just feels awful.

Is that how everyone who runs felt when they first started? (Unless you've done it forever). Will it get better? How long (generally speaking) does it take to actually be ok and borderline enjoyable? I feel like this and then I tell myself to forget it, that I can't, that I'm not cut out to be a runner. I need to know how bad to expect it to be for a while so I can tell myself it's normal and see that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks to anyone who can help. :)

Replies

• sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Yes that's entirely normal. Why don't you look up & follow a 'couch to 5k' plan which will typically have you able to run 5k in 12-16wks. So many people have had success with them and you can see measurable improvements in your fitness week by week. Good luck and enjoy the journey!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm a pretty fit guy and I still hate running...I am not meant to be a good runner...I'm a fantastic sprinter, but I'm a terrible distance runner and always have been. Even when I was in the military and running all of the time, 3-5 miles per day, I still was at the back of the pack on PFT tests and the like. My wife is the perfect example of a natural runner...she can not train at all and go bust out a 5K at a 9 minute mile clip just because she feels like it...she barely trained for a 1/2 marathon and finished it in 2 hours...she's just a natural.

When I started back into things, I started running...did that for several months...yes, I became a better runner, but definitely not a great runner and never liked it...which is why I became a cyclist. I'd say stick with it for awhile and see what happens but be open to different things because finding something you ultimately enjoy doing is what is going to allow you to stick with things. I love to cycle, so it's not a chore at all to get out there on my bike and do it...and in fact, when life happens and I miss a ride or two, I just feel a little incomplete...whereas when life would happen when I was running and I missed a run I was kind of like, "whew...dodged that one."

ETA: I'd also suggest following a structured running program like C25K as this will help you build up to things...I would think you will know if you like running or not within a few months.
  • chunkyelvis
    chunkyelvis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was 5 stone overweight when I found myfitnesspal. I didn't do any exercise. After losing about a stone I started the NHS couch to 5 k pod casts. This is a 10 week programme but I was so unfit it took me 12 weeks. It was perfect for me. I lost 5 stone in about 6 months. That was 18 months ago and I am still running and loving it. I now do Pilates, body pump, kettle, fitball and 1 5k run per week. The reason for telling you all this, is that if I can turn from a dedicated coach potato to a fitness fanatic, anyone can
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I definitely felt that way when I started, and I still feel that way at least once during every run (the first mile just sucks it.) I always feel fantastic afterward, which is why I do it. Keep at it for awhile to see if you get over the hump, but if it just isn't enjoyable for you, find something else you do like. Life's too short, and all that.
  • Rit1603
    Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yes that's how I felt too, plus I really hate running get bored even if I listen to music. But i find it effective for me. Plus i always run by myself as i dont want to get dependant from friends. But lately i discovered lap swim and very happy. It will get better you need strenght in your body. The app the others suggested might help. But I've read that one should always get a check up a medical visit where they test you while running and check everything's fine, has anybody did this visit? I only did heart electrocardiogram. Good luck!
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Another vote for following C25K. I felt the same way you did but after finishing C25K, I'm completely hooked on running. It's a great progression and you can take it at your own pace (repeat workout when needed, etc.).
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I definitely felt that way when I started, and I still feel that way at least once during every run (the first mile just sucks it.) I always feel fantastic afterward, which is why I do it. Keep at it for awhile to see if you get over the hump, but if it just isn't enjoyable for you, find something else you do like. Life's too short, and all that.

+1
  • MillyMil122
    MillyMil122 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    One thing that will help you be able to run longer is if you start doing intervals. Basically run as fast as you can for as long as you can (30 seconds, 1 min, 1.5 min, etc) and then walk for maybe 3 minutes or 5. Keep doing this cycle and it will increase your stamina. It also helps burn more calories and increases your metabolic rate. Hope this helps!
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yes it felt like that. I think it is odd when people say that they aren't 'cut out for running' or 'meant to be a runner.' Anyone can run. Half the battle is mental. You hang in there and steady your breathing through the discomfort and often find your rhythm and a second wind. I truly believe most people can run longer than they believe they can and that anyone (without some serious physical difficulty) can be a runner if they choose to be. As you gain endurance and build mileage you will have a huge sense of pride and accomplishment. Just keep going.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    When I started, I went around my apartment building. Once. I just kept doing that. Eventually, it became too easy and it seemed natural to go a bit further. I think I was running a mile or so in a few months.
    Don't push too hard. If you make it difficult on yourself, and unpleasant, you will quit. That is not what you want. Keep it pleasurable. Distance will come if you do.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Running has always felt horrible to me. I hope to never do it again unless in an emergency.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    It is totally normal to be slow at first. I actually ran slower than I walked when I started C25K. It was embarrassing to get lapped by power walking grandmas, but by the end of the program I was actually moving at a reasonable beginners pace. It took me about a month to stop being miserable and another month to actually enjoy myself. Then it got hot and running indoors is crazy boring. A year later I did a faster progressing version of the program and it was not as bad that time around.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I was totally like that and after 5-6 months was running 3-4 miles at an incline with no problem. You should look at the runsforcookies.com blog. I still read it, but it was really inspiring in the early posts.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How fit are you outside of running? How far and how fast can you walk? If you can't walk at least 3 miles in an hour, I'd work on that first. Then c25k.
  • lizzieloo934
    lizzieloo934 Posts: 58 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I started running on the treadmill last week and I am now able to do 5 minutes straight!

I started with a couch to 5k WALKING program. It took me 6 weeks. And then I spent a few weeks upping my speed...I can now walk at 3.4 and my running is 3.6 (I started at 2.5). And then I added weight training...I think if you are struggling than you are probably going way to fast. You should be able to hold a conversation during a run and not feel like you are going to die lol. Sometimes it is weird running at 3.6 when the person next to me is walking at the same pace...but I know down the road my speed will get faster.

Keep with it, I have heard that it takes 1-2 years before running gets fun!
  • ccjlgrider
    ccjlgrider Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    How fit are you outside of running? How far and how fast can you walk? If you can't walk at least 3 miles in an hour, I'd work on that first. Then c25k.

Yes, I can do this easily.

If it helps, I'm 43, female, need to lose 20 lbs, and do strength training 3x/wk x 2 years but I started out very weak and out of shape and had just had my 3rd baby when I started strength training.

• ccjlgrider
    ccjlgrider Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has replied!
  • makelemonade14
    makelemonade14 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I started running a couple mo the ago. Hadn't run a full mile in over 10 years, and never farther than that. I started with 5 weeks elliptical first to work on heart and lungs, then started the zombies, run 5k app. About 4 weeks in I did mile (218 pounds) and 6 weeks (212 pounds) in I did 5k! It definitely isn't easy for me, I have to fight for every step. And I'm slow. But I'm doing it. I signed up for a half marathon in August because I really want this. Down to 204 pounds! As I lose weight in assuming it will get easier.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I love running, and have been doing it for years. But I still get tired / out of breath / all those things.

I think it's because the better you get, the further you go, or the faster you go. So you're always pushing yourself and that means being a bit uncomfortable.

But once you see the benefits it all becomes so worth it.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I took up running 8 years ago. When I started I couldn't barely run 200 yards let along anything more! I built it up over time, I used to alternate running and walking between the lamp posts along the path, and slowly over time I could start to run longer before I had to walk. It's really fun to enter races when you get better at it too, it gives you something to aim for. I'll never be a fast runner, but I do enjoy it so much. In some respects it never gets easier as such as you're always pushing to run faster and further, but you will obviously be able to see that you are getting better at it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ccjlgrider wrote: »
    How long (generally speaking) does it take to actually be ok and borderline enjoyable?

For me, the first ten to fifteen minutes of any run are grim, it takes me that to relax into it. After that I can go for 3 hours or so comfortably.

But the main point is to structure progress. If you can only run for 400 metres then do 400 metres of running followed by 400 metres of walking, then repeat four times. Next week repeat five times, or do intervals of 500 metre runs with 400 metre walks.

If you can comfortably walk for 30 minutes then I'd support the C25K suggestion.

Give it a couple of months like that and if you still don't enjoy it try something else.