Grand Lux Miso salmon - is it really that bad?

Options
Hello! So I went to Grand Lux Café for lunch today and ordered the Miso Salmon lunch special. It was quite possibly the most amazing salmon I've ever had at a restaurant. I happened to substitute rice with sauteed veggies and don't regret making that decision either.

But I Googled the calories in that dish, and all I could find was the Cheesecake Factory's Miso Salmon (which is undoubtedly the same), and it said the dish was over 1600 calories! How is this possible? There was definitely no more than 3 oz of salmon in my dish (I was actually surprised at how little they gave me), I substituted rice for veggies and I didn't drink the sauce in the bowl or anything... This just doesn't make sense!

Does anyone know the real nutrition facts for this dish, or if I mistakenly ate more than a whole day's worth of calories?

Thanks!

Replies

• ninafattahi
    ninafattahi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I imagine that the issue is the salt content. However, I assume that the portion size at the Cheesecake factory is just bigger hence the calories.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    try looking up a similar recipe on the internet. I found one that adds brown sugar and soy sauce. Also butter and oils add up calories.

Do you remember if it was sauteed in butter? did it taste buttery? if it had high sodium that would not affect the calories. if food tastes a little too good, that may be a sign they cooked in butter. Did it have any sauce? That too might have added oils.

You could ask them next time to prepare it without added butter, they might need a little oil to prepare it but just ask for no added butter or salt.
  • nielym
    nielym Posts: 4
    Options
    It was supposedly marinated in soy sauce (and what else, I clearly don't know!), but it tasted predominantly soy saucy. Then again, despite the sauce in the dish, I didn't drink it afterwords, I only ate the fish and vegetables.

I mean, if I go back I'll be sure to do the whole thing... but it still seems absolutely absurd!!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't use the Cheesecake Factory, their dishes are notoriously high calorie.

I would just estimate how big it was, and add it as a plain piece of Salmon, and quick add 100 cals for the sauce.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hello! So I went to Grand Lux Café for lunch today and ordered the Miso Salmon lunch special. It was quite possibly the most amazing salmon I've ever had at a restaurant. I happened to substitute rice with sauteed veggies and don't regret making that decision either.

But I Googled the calories in that dish, and all I could find was the Cheesecake Factory's Miso Salmon (which is undoubtedly the same), and it said the dish was over 1600 calories! How is this possible? There was definitely no more than 3 oz of salmon in my dish (I was actually surprised at how little they gave me), I substituted rice for veggies and I didn't drink the sauce in the bowl or anything... This just doesn't make sense!

Does anyone know the real nutrition facts for this dish, or if I mistakenly ate more than a whole day's worth of calories?

Thanks!

grand lux and cheesecake factory are owned by the same company. But make sure you aren't looking at the dinner entree portion for that dish
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I made a miso soy salmon last week and it was NOWHERE close to 1600 calories. I ran all the ingredients and ate a half a pound of salmon, cauliflower, and had half a bottle of wine and it was around 900 calories for the whole meal. My guess is yours was more than mine (I used very little fat and truvia instead of brown sugar - we grilled ours ~600 cal), but considerably less that 1600.
  • txgrl63
    txgrl63 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Actually Cheesecake Factory and Grand Lux are owned and/or operated by the same people. The founder of the Cheesecake Factory is the person who founded Grand Lux. A lot of their recipes are identical to each other. Grand Lux even has their cheesecakes delivered daily from Cheesecake Factory.

Unfortunately, the calories are close to the same at both places!