Do macros really matter?

Options
Hello,

I am fairly new to mfp and I was wondering if anyone thinks that specific macros really matter is successful weight loss? Iifym plans usually emphasize specific macros every day or you will not lose weight the 'correct' way. Is this true, or can you eat whatever macro balance you want as long as you are at a deficit? How much protein is usually best for satiation?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Calories for weight loss. Your macros and being aware of them will help you balance out your diet nutritionally...they are also very important to fitness performance and recovery as well as body composition.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    For weight loss it doesn't really matter. Of course you will want to find a balance that keeps you satiated, for the sake of being able to adhere to your deficit. It is ideal to get a decent amount of protein while in a deficit, it helps to maintain lean body mass, especially if you are resistance training along with it. About .8 grams per pound of lean body mass is what I see recommended. I personally like to do .8-1g per pound of total body weight because protein is filling to me.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Not one bit.
    What matters is staying under your calories.
    I am loving a high "good carb diet" program.
    With lots of fruits, veggies, and whole grains.