Losing weight and building muscle?

Options
Quick background: I've been obese most of my life, but decided to lose the weight this year. I've lost 30 pounds so far. I started doing a bodyweight routine and was shocked to find I actually enjoy it. So I bought some dumbells and have been doing curls, etc. I've noticed muscle definition improving even as I lose weight.

But now I keep reading that trying to build muscle and lose weight is a bad idea. Am I working against myself? Should I lose the weight first and stop doing the bodyweight excercises until then?

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    No. You are not working against yourself. The mantra that you can't build muscle in a deficit only applies to well-trained individuals. It helps that you are also obese in this regard. Try a 5x5 program like starting strength if you have access to a barbell. If you don't, then make sure you are doing more than just curls with your dumbbells. Add goblet squats, rows, overhead presses, and one hand dead lifts. There are a myriad of exercises you can find on this site as well as bodybuilding.com. It's best if you can can get dumbbell handles and plenty of weight so you can add weight.

ETA: If you have limited weight, increase the difficulty. Try Turkish Get Ups.
  • seanoxmix
    seanoxmix Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'll try those dumbbell excercises you suggest.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You will certainly get stronger. What you are seeing is likely the muscle peeking out as your fat levels drop, and the muscles look more full due to water retention as part of the repair process. The advantage of lifting while in a calorie deficit is that you can minimize the amount of muscle lost while you are losing weight. This is a great thing! It's nice when you find an activity that you enjoy! I have heard of newbie gains during the first year of training, but how much that will account for seems variable. Keep at it!
  • shellscriptr
    shellscriptr Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have also been obese most of my life and decided to lose the weight this year. Best of luck to you!
    Who could it be
    Believe it or not it's just me
  • Noeediddntt
    Noeediddntt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    just wanted to say, I'm new to the forum but been around fitness on and off for 10 years - I gained quite alot of fat recently and am currently in a cut for the summer. I cant offer much advise as I'm also overweight but I can tell you this, do not let things you read on the internet discourage you. There's far too much conflicting information out there that will distract you. Keep doing what your doing bud, and stay consistent. You shouldn't stop doing something if it's working for you because you see content about it on the internet. I hope that helps, good luck with your journey and I wish you all the success in the world!
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You're going to get stronger and will retain the muscle you have but you will not build muscle in deficit !
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    Here. Lyle McDonald did an informative Q&A on this several years ago.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html/

I've not seen any direct studies on it, but the manta won't seem to die and it's nearly always overstated, just like here where people are telling you that it's impossible (rather than difficult). You are untrained and significantly overweight so you are in the one of the sweet spots for it to happen.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Here. Lyle McDonald did an informative Q&A on this several years ago.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html/

I've not seen any direct studies on it, but the manta won't seem to die and it's nearly always overstated, just like here where people are telling you that it's impossible (rather than difficult). You are untrained and significantly overweight so you are in the one of the sweet spots for it to happen.

Agree completely...even in my deficit, I am more than maintaining muscle....but I fit into sweet spot.
  • seanoxmix
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who offered advice. Sunny, I added the dumbell excercises you mentioned to my workout this morning and feel great. Working muscles I didn't know I had, lol. It feels more balanced now.
  • seanoxmix
    Options
    Tess, no one ever gets my Greatest American Hero reference. Solidarity!
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    seanoxmix wrote: »

"Believe it or not", I got it. ;)
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who offered advice. Sunny, I added the dumbell excercises you mentioned to my workout this morning and feel great. Working muscles I didn't know I had, lol. It feels more balanced now.

Good luck and keep at it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    First thing: if you are or have been obese, you have a good amount of muscle to begin with. Why? It takes muscle to move a large amount of weight around. Also, progressive weight gain in an individual who can move around (walk, climb stairs, works with some manual labor) will result in muscle gain.
    Now that said, it's POSSIBLE to build some muscle in the beginning stages of someone who's obese, an athlete returning to an exercise program after a long lay off, a newbie who's never lifted weights before, BUT the gains are short and not super significant.
    I will always encourage resistance training of any sort because it's important to keep your muscles active and in condition if you want optimal health. So continue what you're doing and don't worry too much about if you're building/not building muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Used to watch that show and cracked up every time he tried to fly.

"Believe it or not, I'm walking on air, I never thought I could be so free."

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png