Trying to find a replacement for running...

Options
After many years of running, I have finally conceded to the fact that I can no longer run long distances. (Arthritis) The problem is, I cannot find any type of exercise that gives me the same type of emotional/physical rewards as running gives me. I have been running for years, and it is something I truly love. Anything else I try, just feels like forced exercise.

What is your favorite workout? I have tried title boxing, gym classes, spinning (worst one), elliptical...it all sucks. I am missing my runs like crazy.

Anyone have an exercise they absolutely love?

Replies

• mooresoftwareenterprises
    Options
    I used to run a lot, and I switched to weights. I still run occasionally and do HIIT elliptical. A good weight training session with little rest can release endorphins similar to running. Good luck!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Hiking does it for me. I have a Forest Service trail by my house. My hike starts out at 5200 feet and gains roughly 1200 feet in elevation the first mile. From there I can continue going up or access other trails that level off. The weather is rarely a factor and if the snow gets too deep I add snowshoes. It's a very satisfying workout I do 3-4 days per week. I used to trail run but gave that up for the same reason you had to quit, knees didn't want to cooperate.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Well, about a year and a half ago, I started learning to swim. I too, love running, but can only do it about once a week. Swimming is really technical, physically challenging, and full of fantastic people. I highly recommend it. If anyone tells you that you'll "get bored," don't believe them. I still don't use a waterproof MP3 player because I'm still busy counting strokes and talking myself through good body position, breathing, etc. As you improve at swimming, it gets harder and more enjoyable. Really :)
  • chr1sttan
    chr1sttan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @mooresoftwareenterprises , thanks. I'll try to love weights more and give that boring elliptical more of a chance. @Rocknut53 , If only I lived on a mountain! That's a great idea though. Will have to find some trails to hike. @girlwithcurls2 , Ha! Swimming was the one reason I never would do a triathlon, but you have convinced me to give it a try! Thanks all!
  • 60to35
    60to35 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I was told no more running because of osteoarthritis in my knee. Doc told me to buy a bike. It was like losing my best friend. Discussed it with another doc who told me that a study was done on arthritic patients and running and they found that the degenerative effects were less pronounced in people that continued to run over the next 10 years than those that didn't. Not sure how much pain you are in but I really worked on improving my quad strength, taking supplements like borage oil and omega 3s, wearing a "Back on Track" sleeve, and wearing very cushioned shoes(Hokas). Best of luck to you- hope you find something that works.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cycling outdoors?
  • MeganSchuyler16
    MeganSchuyler16 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I can't run or do anything high impact after having back and knee surgery. My doctor recommended swimming and biking. They both burn tons of calories. Hope this helps.
  • Hoooooooooo
    Hoooooooooo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Try intervals on the rowing machine
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I am facing a similar problems, my solution was swimming. It is basically the only activity I found that has the cardio aspect, is not painful and is fun.
  • HeyNikkita
    HeyNikkita Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    ROLLERBLADING!!
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    +1 on the outdoor cycling
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If I couldn't run any more it would be cycling (which I do anyway and is a virtual tie with running for enjoyment) and/or indoor rowing (which I also do as x-training).

Cycling can give you a lot of the same things as running (the scenery, fresh air etc) but you can also commute and/or travel by bike if the bug really bites you. If you like trail running you could look at off road biking.

Is it just the longer distances that are out or running altogether?
  • SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Well, about a year and a half ago, I started learning to swim. I too, love running, but can only do it about once a week. Swimming is really technical, physically challenging, and full of fantastic people. I highly recommend it. If anyone tells you that you'll "get bored," don't believe them. I still don't use a waterproof MP3 player because I'm still busy counting strokes and talking myself through good body position, breathing, etc. As you improve at swimming, it gets harder and more enjoyable. Really :)

^^ This!! Everything she said!

I've never been a runner because of joint issues, but I've always thought that swimming has got to be really similar to the way it makes you feel. Once you've mastered a pretty solid technique for a couple of strokes like freestyle and breaststroke, then the sky is the limit. You don't ever get bored when you are breaking up sets with different arm and leg drills, different speeds and all four swimming strokes. You're always working on something to improve your speed, or endurance or form. You're constantly moving down the pool and you are passing people and getting passed, and believe me, you are keeping track, along with your distance and pace times. Then if you learn to flip turn, it's way fun because you've got this new trick in your bag to help you go even faster. And finally when you've finished a good workout your whole body is tired, and you get that same endorphin release.

I could always sorta swim as a kid and teenager, but I was not competitive. I started swimming more seriously at age 32, and started reading books about it, watching the "good swimmers" and trying to improve myself. Eventually I joined a Y fitness swimming group and learned how to flip turn and do the butterfly at age 35. I joined a "real" competitive team at 36, which was loads of fun. I swam with an 80 year old woman who was the Canadian record holder for 100m backstroke. She told me that she'd learned to swim at age 65, so it's never too late.

I was out of the pool for many years, but I finally returned in the fall. I'm 50 now and still loving it. My shoulders are holding up well (although I do a weights program three times a week to keep strong) and I can push myself in the pool in a way that I absolute cannot do on land.

It takes time and patience to learn, but it's well worth the effort. Starting with stroke improvement classes is a great way to get your feet wet and help you learn how to swim more efficiently so that you can eventually achieve that "runners high" that you may be missing.
    But whatever you choose to do - it's gotta be fun!
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you are lucky enough to live somewhere with a community/masters crew club, try it out. If I couldn't run, I'd go back to rowing in a heartbeat. It's outside and you get that zenlike "in the zone " feeling like with running.

Btw, I loathed the erg when I was a rower, still loathe it 15 years later. But actual rowing is awesome, so if you dislike the indoor rowing, don't discount outdoor rowing
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I was also going to suggest swimming. For me, I enjoy running because I get into a rhythm and can kind of tune out. I feel like swimming is the closest to this feeling--you have the rhythm of your strokes and breathing, and being in the water makes it feel like you're kind of "separate" from the rest of the world. If you haven't really swum before, maybe take a few lessons. Having good form makes it a lot more enjoyable :)
  • chr1sttan
    chr1sttan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses and suggestions.